Downgrading from Yosemite to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
hey guys . needless to say I'm so disappointed with upgrading my Macbook to the new Yosemite , which just caused me to believe behind Apple (with all my love to them) are one big scam due to the fact that I WAS NEVER INFORMED it will cause my computer to barely function ... when I read the discription i was informed my computer will work just fine with the upgrade but truth has proved differently . Now my computer is in a mental state and I wanna go back to Snow Leopard (I got the CD already) , just wanna know how to do so without having to lose any information stored in my Macbook .
I know this might have been asked here million times before but still - URGENTLY need your advise on this since my computer is basically my work and my income based on it .
Thanks in advance for any piece of help you might be sharing with me !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well I guess you never CHECKED either!!

But I'm really dumbfounded with such a FIRST POST and ends with a statement with — URGENTLY need your advise on this since my computer is basically my work and my income based on it .

Just unbelievable to me.

So, maybe start and let us know what you have, at least in the way of any backups or clones and Mac model you have...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What problems are you experiencing? I ask because it looks like Apple may not be updating the security features in Snow Leopard

Having said that here is what I would do if I were going backward:

1. Backup anything important. Going backward is going to require formatting your hard drive,
2.Think for a moment and make sure the software you need still runs on Snow Leopard. If you've updated some of it recently the current versions may not work with the older OS.
3. Boot from the SL DVD format the drive and reinstall the SL.Make sure the drive is formatted with the GUID partition format.
4, Run Software Update to get SL to 10.6.8.
5. Reinstall software as needed. You can use a Time Machine backup if it has Snow Leopard compatible versions of the software.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
First let me say that if you have a late 2009 MacBook Pro onwards with 4Gb of RAM Yosemite should work for you. Secondly Apple provided ample sites with System requirements for installation of Yosemite prior to instal.
Still if you are unhappy with it that is fair enough. We have covered this topic before here;
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/316873-downgrade-yosemite-snow-leopard.html
You will need a Time Machine Backup to restore your files as described.
If you dont have a TM backup prior to installation of Yosemite you will need to use this method which is for Mavericks but the same for Yosemite;
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6161
The point is that either way you need to erase your Hard Drive completely to install Snow Leopard because Apple does not support retrograde installs of OSX.
Note on the second article it first suggests that you attempt to FIX Mavericks. I would advise you try that first.
Let us know what your current problems are and we may be able to help.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.