Don't want iTunes as default for Internet music...

Reaction score
Whenever I'm browsing or listening to a sample of something it always downloads that file to my computer and puts it into my iTunes library.. say I'm on something like www.emusic.com and I'm listening to samples... browsing.. I end up with dozens of unwanted small files in my iTunes library... help! how do I "un"default iTunes... it doesn't seem to be an option... I'm fine with playing the samples in Quicktime or Windows Media Player or whatever... anything but iTunes, you know?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.... just switched from a PC a couple weeks ago... doing great other than this...

Reaction score
Right-click on one of the files and go to Get Info. At the bottom of the Get Info window is "Open with." Change it to QuickTime Player or VLC or whatever, then click on "Change All." A confirmation window will open. Click on "Yes" or "OK" or whatever it is.

This won't prevent any song from playing in iTunes if you drag it to the iTunes library. But it should stop those files from opening iTunes and littering it with their titles.

OP
O
Reaction score
"un"default iTunes...

Thanks for the tip.. but that doesn't seem to be an option in that window... I know when I had a PC I could make Windows Media Player the "default" player for stuff like this (browsing eMusic, etc.) but it's not a menu option in WMP on my Macbook... and the menu in iTunes let's you "set" iTunes as the default player but you can't "un"set it... or change it at all.. it's like they have you locked into it...

OP
O
Reaction score
iTunes...

PS. I'm using Firefox.... I also tried Safari.. but same thing happens... only with Safari it dumps the small sample file on my desktop... even when I got into iTunes and "delete" the file... it only deletes it from my iTunes library... on my PC it would give me the option to also delete the actual file... why would using iTunes on a Mac seem more locked up and limiting...??? should be the other way around...???

Reaction score
As well as using Get Info, you can change or add to the apps Firefox handles with the extension Mime Edit. After it's loaded, the control will be under Tools.

This won't stop the files from appearing on the desktop, though.

Change App.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.