Don't understand RAM in OS X

Reaction score
Help me understand how this works. In the Activity Monitor, I've got: Wired, Active, Inactive, Used, and Free. What the..?? So, as I understand it:

Wired: RAM that is actively in use
Active: Uh... RAM that is actively in use.. ??
Inactive: RAM not being used but is for some reason tied up.. will be used as soon as it is needed (this is like Linux, how it eats up as much RAM as possible and gives it out to applications as needed, right?)
Used: A grand total of the above?
Free: free RAM

Then for each process, there's "Real Memory" used and "Virtual Memory." But if I total up all the "Real Memory", it doesn't add up to what's wired/active.

So.. how exactly does this work? For instance, my wired RAM is around 690MB, and active is around 373MB. But if I total up all the "real memory" for all the apps, it comes to 334MB. What gives?

Reaction score
I remembered coming across this thread that explains it. Giulio's post includes a link to an Apple page that discusses it.

Edit: Sorry. There's nothing on the Apple page that explains why it doesn't add up.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, that thread just states what's in the help file. Doesn't explain "real memory" vs "virtual memory" on the process list either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
REal memory is physical RAM, Virtual is Hard Drive space that is used to act as extra RAM IIRC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Virtual RAM does not have any effect on the speed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Something still doesn't add up. Specifically, the "real memory" of each app does not add up to the wired/active.

Also, no way does "Virtual Memory" equal the HD based RAM an app is using, because nearly every app I'm running is eating up 300-400MB of RAM! Doesn't make any sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Virtual RAM does not have any effect on the speed.
If you're saying the use of disk space as virtual memory has no affect on application speed, that is untrue when it is used. The read and write speeds to drives are many many times slower than accessing real memory directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
To answer the origial question simply start up Activity Monitor, select the Help menu item 'Activity Monitor Help' and enter the word 'wired' into the search box, hit the return key, then select the first reference that comes up. That was titled 'Checking system memory usage' for me in Tiger.

OP
C
Reaction score
I already read that help file. It doesn't explain my other questions/issues in this thread though.

Reaction score
my processes -> all processes

It does work, you just have to click on the button that says "my processes" and select "all processes". Also, depending on what you're running using the purge command can help a lot (e.g., you're going through virtual memory because you've run out of RAM).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.