Don't Panic, OSX 10.10.3 and restore update

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Don't Panic!!! 10.10.3 and Restore update

Wow what a relief! Being the curious little budgie I am I updated Yosemite to 10.10.3 and the Restore partition as soon as they became available today. I did note that each one would require a restart to complete installation. The Restore update completed and the OSX update still had about 300Mb to go when I decided to have lunch. On return I found my MBP had already restarted displaying the familiar small white window on the grey patterned background with the App Store Logo saying "installing software" about 10min to go. Once completed the MBP restarts, pale grey screen grey progress bar etc. all normal, but, and that’s where it gets a bit scary, it is taking a much longer time to restart than usual. Then (oh my god) the screen goes black. Then the spinning pizza of death appears (oh no!), I'm just starting to wonder how much info I will have lost since my last Time Machine and CCC Backups when the Yosemite install window with the blue progress bar appears on the black background stating 15 mins to install software. Once completed the restart happens again bringing you to the login window but just as I'm about to login a notification like window appears top right to say "Optimizing your system, this might affect speed and battery life until complete." After about 5min waiting for that to go away I close it manually, login and find all active apps running just as they had been before restart. Don’t bother waiting for an "Optimizing completed," it doesn’t happen.
I don’t know about everyone else but whenever I perform a major update on my primary computer I always have a bit of a heart flutter no matter how many backups and recovery options I have.
I also noticed the laptop body became quite warm during the process so since we had a power failure about then I decided to shut down and give it a well earned rest.
As for the new iPhoto, now just called Photos If you didn’t like the new iTunes you may not like this either. It is quite a departure from the previous app which lets face it, hasn’t changed a lot for many years.
More to come on that I bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I went to bed and let the update continue on my Mac AIr. It is the only one I have updated yet as the rest are at work and I downloaded the 10.10.3 combo for them.

I am glad I was not awake because I too get the cold flutters when installs do not look like they are going work. I got up this morning and she was waiting on me all updated and it all looks good. If it "optimized" it happened while I slept.

I do not use iCloud for photos and all my personal photos are on my google drive. I never used iPhoto so I don't see me using Photo. But I also don't like or use iTunes much - only when forced.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.