Does upgrading Operating Systems benefit someome using an older Mac???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, I wonder if they will go to 10.10.0 or 11? :D Grin

C

chas_m

Scott Forstall recently testified in court (Friday) that OS X was designed to last 20 years.

As it's only 11 years old now, and I don't see any OS that threatens its position of overall superiority, I'd say the odds are good that we'll see 10.10 and possibly beyond.

You can bet, however, that somewhere -- in a dark, never-discussed portion of the Apple Campus -- a small team is busy throwing out EVERYTHING we know about OS X and iOS and starting over ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Scott Forstall recently testified in court (Friday) that OS X was designed to last 20 years.

As it's only 11 years old now, and I don't see any OS that threatens its position of overall superiority, I'd say the odds are good that we'll see 10.10 and possibly beyond.

You can bet, however, that somewhere -- in a dark, never-discussed portion of the Apple Campus -- a small team is busy throwing out EVERYTHING we know about OS X and iOS and starting over ...

I just HOPE it's a desktop OS and not like Windows 8 and there are desktops to run it on! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Water
Under

Once your machine has gotten to the age that it only meets the bare minimum specs on the latest version of OS X, you probably have a choice: upgrade some things (RAM, HD, software) and keep up one more time, or (particularly if everything is working well) stick with what you have.

You can continue to upgrade the non-OS software for as long as you eligible, and Apple issues security updates for some (just the last couple of) older system versions.

My Mini meets the bare minimum for Lion and can't run ML. The hardware can't be upgraded further than it is.

I had to upgrade from Leopard to get security updates, etc. so I took the plunge to Lion. I had some unresolved quirky issues and it was sluggish, so I downgraded to Snow Leopard which I hadn't used before. AFAIK everything in SL is working fine, and it is pretty quick.

Still, Lion has some pretty cool features and I plan to create a partition to do a clean install from my Lion Boot Disc. I'm wondering though if it is worth taking 50 GB from my 160GB HD for Lion. (I tried running SL on a 15 GB partition but that was futile.) I have a 500GB Firewire HD for most of my media files, but I am wary of running SL and iTunes on a 90GB partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.