does the RAM have to match?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
I hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question, but does the RAM in each slot have to be the same? I've got the stock 1.83 mb with 512, and was wondering if I can just buy 1gig and slap it in the other one, or if I have to buy either another 512, or 2 1gigs?

Does that even make any sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Apple recommends you use matched pairs, as you will get much better performance with it.

OP
onecrazycowgirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
While it may be recommended, it is by no means necessary.
You will be fine by not having matched pairs. The increase would be barely noticeable if you did match the RAM anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Well since my question wasn't answered in a different thread, and this thread is about RAM, I have a question.

I have the stock 256MB RAM my iBook came with. I recently got a gift certificate to the Apple store, and was wondering if I increased my RAM to 768 if I would see a remarkable difference..

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
I would say yes it would a pretty knowticable one. I'm running a 512 and a Gig mine arent matched and it seems to run really well :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Well since my question wasn't answered in a different thread, and this thread is about RAM, I have a question.

I have the stock 256MB RAM my iBook came with. I recently got a gift certificate to the Apple store, and was wondering if I increased my RAM to 768 if I would see a remarkable difference..

Thanks in advance!

Just remember, RAM at the Apple Store is super expensive, so if youre able. Ide try to get it from a third party like newegg. Then you could use the gift certificate for something better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Just remember, RAM at the Apple Store is super expensive, so if youre able. Ide try to get it from a third party like newegg. Then you could use the gift certificate for something better.

Yeah I wanted to do that, but everything I want from the Apple store is at least $350 lol. I figured let me go all Apple, and use up this gift certificate. In the end, for a Mac enthusiast, a RAM upgrade was quite the little birthday gift anyway :D LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.