Does iCloud overwrite Tame Capsule backup versions?

Reaction score
I'm running Time Machine to Time Capsule under Yosemite and I just discovered that for Apple iCloud apps such as Pages and Numbers, the file version in Time Capsule is always the latest version no matter the date of the backup. That is, if I view the time Capsule backup from a month ago, it has today's - or whatever the most recent is - version of the document. Since these are iCloud apps being backed up to iCloud, too, I'm wondering if iCloud overwrites and takes over any backup version of the documents created with such programs. Has anyone else run into this situation? Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, what's stored in your iCloud drive does not overwrite your backups. However, if you're continuously backing up to your TC with Time Machine the latest versions of your Pages documents and Numbers sheets, will be reflected.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks. What I discovered does work is File > Revert To > Browse All Versions from an iCloud aware application like Pages or Numbers. If you do this be sure to notice the word "Load" and the iCloud icon on the many otherwise blank documents. At least in my color scheme, it's very faint and hard to spot. But, going into Time Machine/Time Capsule directly, I always have the most recent version, even if I select a backup from the past - it still shows me a more recent version. That's what was confusing me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.