Document scanner for M1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2020 (M1) iPhone 14 Ipad 8th gen ATV 4K 2nd gen
Does anyone know of a portable / mobile document scanner that will work with the M1 MacBook Pro?
I have looked on Amazon, but none thy all just say "Mac compatible "
Thank you in advance!!

Reaction score
Since it is so early in the existence of the M1-based Macs, the best way to approach things might be to decide on two or three candidates that you might be willing to purchase, and then go to the developer's Web site and see if they list M1 compatibility, or even better, they offer an M1-specific driver. If neither is in evidence, I would e-mail the developer(s) and ask them specifically about M1-compatibility.

If that all fails, you might want to consider purchasing a scanner that is attractive and which also is listed as being supported by one of the commercial third party scanner drivers:

Exactscan Pro
ExactScan - High Speed Document Scanning
(if you mostly scan documents)

Vue-Scan
(if you mostly scan graphics)

A final option might be to use your iPhone as a portable scanner using:

Scanner Pro by Readdle
(turns your iPhone into a surprisingly competent scanner)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I can contest to what Randy mentioned last (above) your iPhone makes a surprisingly good portable scanner. I use Genius Scan on my iPhone which has lots of handy features like Perspective Correction, Colour Enhancement etc, and I can then quickly send the image via email to myself or others or save to library.
If nothing else a really good temporary solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Does anyone know of a portable / mobile document scanner that will work with the M1 MacBook Pro?
Thank you in advance!!

I wouldn't be concerned about whether or not they specifically say they are compatible with the M1 platform. The architecture isn't really relevant, but rather the OS support. Obviously look for one that is compatible with Big Sur. Quite a lot of scanners work straight out of the box just fine, no additional drivers needed, but not universally so.

Just to illustrate the above.... I have a Canon flatbed scanner that I bought a few years ago and is used with my 2019 iMac. I've never tried to use it with my M1 MacBook Air, but for the sake of this conversation, I gave it a whirl. The MBA didn't recognize the scanner at first, so I went to Canon's support page for this scanner; found drivers for it that were updated late last year; and installed them. Works perfectly fine. There's nothing in their support page that explicitly says the scanner is compatible with Apple Silicon Macs, but like I said, that's really irrelevant. Look for Big Sur support.

EDIT: as a side note, since you are buying new, consider looking for one that uses USB-C so you can avoid using an adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can contest to what Randy mentioned last (above) your iPhone makes a surprisingly good portable scanner. I use Genius Scan on my iPhone which has lots of handy features like Perspective Correction, Colour Enhancement etc, and I can then quickly send the image via email to myself or others or save to library.
If nothing else a really good temporary solution.

You can even get stands for use with smartphones so the camera is perfectly aligned over the document rather than trying to hold it over, which usually leads to a slight skewing. I've seen one before that is powered via the lightning port to use its own lighting vs the LED flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I got my wife an M1 Mini to replace her aging Intel Mini. Everything connected to the old one works connected to the new. Printer/scanner/mouse/monitor/keyboard/external drives/everything.

Reaction score
Looking for scanner (auto feed is probably out) to work on osMonterey 12.2 on 13" M1 MBP.
My old Epson DS-510 sheet feeder is now driverless. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Looking for scanner (auto feed is probably out) to work on MAC osMonterey 12.2 on 13" M1 MBP.
My old Epson DS-510 sheet feeder is now driverless. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I have an Epson Workforce ES-200 which works well with my new M1 Pro 14" MacBook Pro. It's not a flatbed type, but a roller type that feeds papers through it. Works well. It does have automatic document feeding, but you can't put too many pages at one time or it will jam. Say you have a 20 page doc, you just scan 10 pages at a time and then you are fine.

OP
M915 Driver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2020 (M1) iPhone 14 Ipad 8th gen ATV 4K 2nd gen
You can even get stands for use with smartphones so the camera is perfectly aligned over the document rather than trying to hold it over, which usually leads to a slight skewing. I've seen one before that is powered via the lightning port to use its own lighting vs the LED flash.
Thank you Lifeisabeach.
can you recommend a stand that will work with an iPhone and iPad that is affordable. I am on a small fixed budget?
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Lifeisabeach.
can you recommend a stand that will work with an iPhone and iPad that is affordable. I am on a small fixed budget?
Thank you

I don't have a personal recommendation since I don't use one. I know most will be best, if only, suited for a smartphone. Here's one that will work with an iPad. But it's on the pricier side.

If you are feeling handy, you can make one. Instructables has a couple tutorials:

This one is more along the lines that I was talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP, iPhone 6, iPad4, iPad Mini Retnia, WHS 2011
Thank you in advance!!
I am using the Fujitsu ScanSnap s1300i with 2021 MBP M1 with no issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.