Docs are getting saved to Applications folder

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (2012), OSX 10.13 High Sierra
No problem, my friend. Not that far behind you in age.

Ian

By any chance, are you also a Navy Veteran?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because you choose to store Desktop and Documents folder in your iCloud Drive. You need to change the option in iCloud Preferences.

Be warned, you may loose files/data, if you don't copy the files/data stored there before de-selecting that option. See this for reference, iCloud: Turning Off Desktop and Documents Syncing - The Mac Observer

Hi Ferrar,
Thanks so much for that input.
I will checkout the iCloud Settings as suggested by you. As a matter of fact, this might have happened by default or what, because I never knowingly set it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
By any chance, are you also a Navy Veteran?

Oh no. Nothing so distinguished:)

I'm a retired Medic, who has recently been un-retired to help out with a pesky little virus that's going around.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ferrar,
Bingo
You spotted the problem. Yes, the Setting of Options in iCloud Drive was to save everything there.
I have deleted all the folders, so now nothing goes to iCloud bt default. Yes, in the process I did get the cautions rightly mentioned by The Mac Observer, and they did not worry me, because in case I do need some doc it is still in the iCloud Drive. Even if it isn't I can manage.

Having done the changes, I then downloaded a file which was attached to an incoming email msg. That went into my Downloads folder. Then I opened the DOC file and did selected Save As, and chose the Documents folder.

WOWW I was so pleased to find it there. Im like the cat whose just finished the cream. Thanks to you and Ian for patiently helping me with this problem.

May I ask you how to create folders in "Documents"??

And will they show up listed under Documents, so that I can CHOOSE which folder to save a particular file to??

Thanks a million. I think this issue is almost licked

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Wonderful news, mukund.

To create a new Folder in Documents:

Use Finder to open Documents, then on the top menu bar Click on File > New Folder.

You can have as many Folders as you wish.

You can even have Folders within Folders. For example: In Documents you could have a Folder named Holidays and within that Folder, use the same File > New Folder procedure to create a Folder called 2018, another 2019, another 2020.

It's only an example, but you get the point. And when you use "Save As", you can navigate to all these sub folders to save something.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please disregard:
"May I ask you how to create folders in "Documents"??"
Ill look it up

Many thanks :)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps our postings crossed over each other, but I have shown you how to create Folders in Documents - as above, #25.:)

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian,

Many thanks for all your help. How does one close this thread?
But I'm afraid you are not rid of me yet.
As I use the MacBook more, there will be many issues that I shall need help with.

Do please take care of your self, while you care for others.
The pesky one is a potentially dangerous one, but that I don't need to tell you.
Cheers
Adios for now
Mukund

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonderful news, mukund.

To create a new Folder in Documents:

Use Finder to open Documents, then on the top menu bar Click on File > New Folder.

You can have as many Folders as you wish.

You can even have Folders within Folders. For example: In Documents you could have a Folder named Holidays and within that Folder, use the same File > New Folder procedure to create a Folder called 2018, another 2019, another 2020.

It's only an example, but you get the point. And when you use "Save As", you can navigate to all these sub folders to save something.

Ian

Thanks, Ian
Just a quick question.
In my Menu bar there is no Fle> new folder as you mention. Instead there are some icons. I have to open one of the icon to find the new folder choice.

should I not have. proper menu bar??

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 5.52.42 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I open Finder > Documents, this is what I get. It's the File option in the top menu bar (red arrow) that you click to get a dropdown with "New Folder".

S1.jpg

By the way, if you are interested, you can arrange things such that when you Click on Finder, it automatically open with the Documents folder. If that appeals to you:

We want to go into Finder > Preferences which you did before. Open Finder. In top Menu Bar, Click on Finder, then choose Preferences.

Then Click on "General". Near the bottom you will see "New Finder Windows Show" - use the arrowheads and choose "Documents". Like this:

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 1.50.29 pm?.png

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I open Finder > Documents, this is what I get. It's the File option in the top menu bar (red arrow) that you click to get a dropdown with "New Folder".

View attachment 31392

By the way, if you are interested, you can arrange things such that when you Click on Finder, it automatically open with the Documents folder. If that appeals to you:

We want to go into Finder > Preferences which you did before. Open Finder. In top Menu Bar, Click on Finder, then choose Preferences.

Then Click on "General". Near the bottom you will see "New Finder Windows Show" - use the arrowheads and choose "Documents". Like this:

View attachment 31393

Ian

OK, couple of things.
Firstly, that was a very handy tip, thanks. I have set it to show the Docs folder when I open Finder.

Secondly, I can get the Menu Bar right at the top.
But by default I am only getting a bunch of icons:
There are four choices of View to choose from
Then Arrange. Action. Share. Edit. Tags

I was clicking on Action which gives me a drop down with:
New folder
Open in new tab.

My question is that in Default, why doesn't that menu bat show up right away. If I need it then I have to push my cursor to the top of the Finder screen and only then it pops up.

Thanks
Mukund

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mukund

I think I've guessed the problem:)

I suspect that you are in "Full Screen View". Because you said:
If I need it then I have to push my cursor to the top of the Finder screen and only then it pops up.

Next time you are there and don't see the top menu bar, you can do one of the following:

Hit the Escape Key on your Keyboard (shown as esc top left). That should bring you back to Normal Screen Mode.

Or, move the Cursor to the very top of the screen and wait a second or two. When the Top Menu Bar appears, click on "View" and then choose the very last option in the list, "Exit Full Screen".

To explain - assuming I'm right - if you accidentally or deliberately click on the tiny Green Dot, right at the top of the Window far left , that will hide the Top Menu Bar and you will be in Full Screen View. (If you look to the top of a Window in Normal Screen View, far left there are 3 Dots - Red, Amber, Green).

Do post back and tell me if that helps.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian,

Sure it works for me just like you said.
Snooping around in the View tab I selected Hide Toolbar so that has disappeared :)

Now when I open Finder the Menu bar shows at the top.
But the rest of the Finder screen uses only part of my 15" screen, it is a smaller screen superimposed on the Safari screen below. If I want the Finder screen to occupy the whole then I have to drag the edges to the ends.
Which setting controls that, so that each time the Finder opens the Menu bar and the screen will be the full 15"?
I hope I am not hogging too much of your time with my queries. :(

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mukund

No problem at all.

To adjust the Window size to suit you:

You see these 3 coloured dots at the top left of the Window - Red, Amber, Green. OK. Move you cursor very close to the Green Dot - don't click yet. Now hold down the Option Key. Notice that the Green button changes from two arrowheads to a plus sign (+). That tells you that it has changed its function.

Now, with the Option key held down, Click on the Green Dot. Your Window should now fill all the available space AND keep the Top Menu Bar.

If it doesn't fill all the space, simply drag the edges to achieve what you want. From now on, it will "remember" that size when you next open that Window again.

NB: You can also go into "Full Screen View" as I discussed above, but the top menu bar is hidden as we said.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.
Yes, the green dot changes to a + sign but holding down OPTION and clicking the Green dot has NO effect on the window. It remains just the same as if I haven't done anything.
But if I click the green dot when it has the two way arrows , then the screen fills up all 15" but the Menu bar disappears.
Oh dear !!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if I click the green dot when it has the two way arrows , then the screen fills up all 15" but the Menu bar disappears.

Correct. You have entered Full Screen Mode - which is okay if you don't mind moving the cursor to the top of the Window for the Menu Bar to appear. Many like things this way & use it routinely.

the green dot changes to a + sign but holding down OPTION and clicking the Green dot has NO effect on the window.

That means that it has sized the Window to match the contents. If there is still spare room around the Window, just use the cursor (Left Click) to grasp one of the 4 corners and pull it outward and either upward or downward depending on which corner you chose.

What I do is grab the bottom right corner and drag it down and to the right. Remember you can alter the position of the whole Window by Left Click-and-hold-down near the top and then move the window around.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
at the moment there is just one file in one folder in my Docs.
Once it builds up I shall try and make this work
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Learn about Spaces in macOS, Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support. It's very convenient, especially if you enable the swipe action on your Magic Mouse or Trackpad.

Thanks
I shall look it up and learn

Take care and stay safe
Mukund

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.