Docs are getting saved to Applications folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (2012), OSX 10.13 High Sierra
Hi,
many of my docs are getting saved to the Applications folder instead of the Documents folder.
When I am asked to save a doc it does not offer a choice - only the Applications folder.
How can I change this?

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I wonder if your save dialog has gotten collapsed so it does not show the save options. Look at figure one in this article. This is for an old version of the dialog. If your save dialog looks anything like that click the arrow on the right side of the box, It should expand to look similar to the box in figure 2.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Slydude,
Thanks for your prompt response.
I am attaching a screen shot of the box I get when I try to save.
Oh shucks I have the screenshot on my desktop and im trying my best to attach it but it just is not happening.

I clicked the attachment icon in the panel above. It opens another box which says drag your file her, and I do that but I do not see it attached tot his msg
This is so frustrating

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@mukund

I'm wondering about the nature or source of the Documents.

For example, if it's a Pages Document, when you go to Save it, you would Click on File. The Dropdown menu only shows "Save"; but if you hold down the Option Key, you are offered "Save As". Use this and you can choose exactly where you want it to go.

This applies to most apps native to Apple.

If, however, it's, say, a Word Document and you Click on File > Save As, you may see this:

S1.jpg

This gives you only one option for where to Save the document; but if you click the arrowhead shown by the Red Arrow, this opens up all the possibilities as per this screenshot:

S2.png

I hope these comments may help you. Please post back.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your suggestion. I do understand what you have told me. Unfortunately the choices offered are
Devices
Remote Disc
Google Chrome

Favourites
Applications
Downloads

Recent Places
video
archive-2
Class VII

If ony I was able to attach the screen shot you would better understand my problem.
Do I raise another Post on "HOW TO ATTACH A FILE" to a post, or would you be kind enough to help me on this thread.
I apologise for being such a moron.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi mukund,

Never apologise - we love morons:);D Anyway, you're not one.

Attaching a file is complicated till you see it done and then it's easy - just like most things in life.

Before you start, it's important to SIZE the file. To do this, open the file in Preview (the default option in most cases). From the top menu bar, Click on "Tools" and from there, choose "Adjust Size".

A window will appear. It looks complicated, but we only need you to alter one setting!! Look at "Width". Set it to be no higher than 800; in fact about 500 is usually fine, then click OK. Now you are ready to start.

Here are the steps:

1. Click on the icon, third from the right just above your reply window : Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 9.02.34 am??.png

2. This opens a small window - click on "From Computer" if it is not selected automatically.

3. Click on "Choose File". Navigate to where the file is (I keep mine on the Desktop). Select it then Click on "Choose".

4. Then a window opens and you select "Upload Files"

And that's it.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen Shot selection Docs missing.png

Because you told me to select the third icon from the right I finally managed to attach the screenshot.
I was selecting the paperclip icon instead and thats why it did not work!
Perhaps you will now understand my predicament of any file I save does either into Applications folder or the Download folder.

The next step will be to move all docs in these two folders to the Document folder

Many thanks for your patience

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your kind words. Glad you've got there in the end.

Always happy to help and we try to have unlimited patience:)

Now you may need to help me. I can see from your screenshot that are in an Excel window with "List of remedies in stock.xlsx". So this is a spreadsheet.

I need confirmation that you have clicked File > "Save As" and also that you have clicked on the arrowhead to the right of "Where"? Normally, you'd get what I demonstrated in my screenshot when I opened up the "Where" options by clicking on the arrowheads.

It's important for me to understand exactly what you've done since I'm not sitting next to you:)

There are options to Archive etc. May I assume that the Excel spreadsheet is on your Mac rather than on the Web? Because saving from the Web is different. Sorry for all these questions.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You want to click on the down arrow icon, that is to the far left of the "Save as" dialog box which you have highlighted.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian,
The XSLX file in the background of the screenshot was a file that I sent from my PC by email to myself and then opened it in the Mac.

To try out your suggestion, I opened a different XLSX file and selected Save As. I was presented with a screen showing me the folder "Documents", so I created a subfolder Education and saved the file there. I thought, Aah now I have licked the problem. But when I examined the Docs folder I could not see my file in it!!

This is really foxing. I was so used to a PC for 35 years and could do whatever i needed to, but now I feel like a novice who has no control over what is going on.

The temp here is a very hot 29 deg C and after a Beer I will have to call it a day.
May I catch up with you tomorrow, please.
Cheers
G'night

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi
I was a bit under the weather, but Im back now.

While changing where to save Downloaded files I wanted to save a file to my docs folder Users/Mukund/Docs, instead of the Downloads folder. But once again had the same problem the Docs folder does not appear in my selectable folders. See the screen shot
Screenshot of folders for saving a file.png

Under iCloud I have a choice of folders:
iCloud Drive
Desktop
Documents
But I don't want to save it in iCloud, I want to save the file to my hard drive, and the folder choices:
Recent
Applications
Downloads

So how do I drill down to my User/Mukund/Docs folder ???

By the way, yesterday, I downloaded Handy Keyboard shortcuts of High Sierra.
It says
Go To Desktop. Shift+Command+D. but when I do that the desktop screen does not appear. Am I doing it wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Open a Finder window and in the top menu bar select, Finder > Preferences. In the Finder Preferences window, select Sidebar. Make sure there are checks in the boxes next to everything you want to appear in the sidebar.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi mukund

Sorry you've been poorly - very glad that you've overcome it.

I think there may be a little misunderstanding, perhaps:)

On your screenshot, one of the options on the left, under Desktop, is Documents. BUT That "Documents" is listed under iCloud.

You should have the Mac's "Documents" in the Sidebar which is an alias/shortcut to Macintosh HD > Users > your name > Documents. That is where most people save their Files (other than photos, and so on)

What I presume you want to do is file things on your Mac under Users > Your Name > Documents??

However, there is a way around this.

If you go into Finder > Preferences > Sidebar, you should be presented with this:

S1.jpg

Click on all the things you would like to see in your Sidebar. Particularly look out for Documents - in the region of the red arrow - and check that box.

When that is done, your Mac's Documents folder (under Mac HD > Users > Your Name) should appear in the Sidebar and consequently be offered as a destination when you "Save As".

Come back to us with comments etc.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I made a reply almost two hours ago. surprisingly it does not appear here.

I wrote that I know it sounds pathetic, but I am unable to open Preferences in FindER. Can't see it anywhere and even tried right click but no joy :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, click on Finder in the Dock. In the top menu bar, click on, Finder, then Preferences.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Bob said:
In the top menu bar, click on, Finder, then Preferences.

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 3.57.34 pm?.png

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks. Did that and this is what I have. No sign of the Docs folder that you mention. Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 21.47.12.png

I cannot find what you have mentioned "When that is done, your Mac's Documents folder (under Mac HD > Users > Your Name) should appear in the Sidebar "

Does this make sense?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian
Its now 10 PM here in India, and I need to turn in.
Incidentally I am 75, and a cancer survivor.
I mention it not for evoking sympathy, but to explain the sometimes long delays in my responses. The 5.5 hours time difference from the UK, doesn't help :)

I look forward to your response and will action it tomorrow.
G'night

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because you choose to store Desktop and Documents folder in your iCloud Drive. You need to change the option in iCloud Preferences.

Be warned, you may loose files/data, if you don't copy the files/data stored there before de-selecting that option. See this for reference, iCloud: Turning Off Desktop and Documents Syncing - The Mac Observer

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian
Its now 10 PM here in India, and I need to turn in.
Incidentally I am 75, and a cancer survivor.
I mention it not for evoking sympathy, but to explain the sometimes long delays in my responses. The 5.5 hours time difference from the UK, doesn't help :)

I look forward to your response and will action it tomorrow.
G'night

No problem, my friend. Not that far behind you in age.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.