Dock Questions - Hide???

Reaction score
How can I get Apps that I want Truely hidden to not show up on Dock.

It seems the hide doesn't really hide anything.

For instance I want to hide Default Folder X, Quicksilver and SpamSiev.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks as Always this is a great resource and has help me make the transition!

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
"Hide" hides all windows, it doesn't hide from the dock...otherwise how would you open the app again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Hi Rich. Not too sure what you want, do you simply want the apps to no longer a be on your dock? If so simply drag the icon off the dock onto the desktop and "poof" it is gone... now you need to go to your app folder to open the app, hope that helps.

EDIT: Sorry I read it again and now realise that is not what you wanted, my apologies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Per MartinS' post above, you CAN completely hide the Dock icon of a running application, but it is generally frowned upon as you may in fact lose your ability to communicate with the program, or "unhide" it. Also, the article mentions that some programmatic interactions happen via the Dock, so there is no guarantee that all will be well afterwards.

In general, a Mac design principle that is likely built right in to the design of most Mac apps is that while they are executing, their icon is visible on the Dock. It is likely not a good thing to mess with this unless you REALLY know what you are up to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
Yeah, that World of Warcraft icon on the dock can be rough when your boss walks by, LOL.

Reaction score
I hid the hardware growler dock icon based on the instructions on the Growl website, simply because I didn't like it. But if you hide the dock icon you easily forget the app's running, so come instructions such as "quit all running applications" etc, you don't.

As the others have said, I think it's probably best to live with it or hide the Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Quicksilver has an option in its prefs to turn off the dock icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The Dock looks awesome, why would you want to hide it?

I hide mine, it takes up screen real estate, and I don't use it all the time, so it doesn't need to sit on the desktop all the time.

Reaction score
The Dock looks awesome, why would you want to hide it?

I guess I don't really get into customising the Dock icons and I only have to run the mouse cursor downwards to the bottom of the screen to make it reappear, so I really appreciate that Apple has included the option to Hide/Show the Dock .....

Reaction score
Could you explain how you turn off dock - I find it very invasive!

thanks for any help

In the preferences (icon with the gears), choose the dock and then you can tell it to automatically hide and show the dock. It disappears until you leave the mouse where it normally is for a few seconds. You can also shrink it.

Reaction score
In the preferences (icon with the gears), choose the dock and then you can tell it to automatically hide and show the dock. It disappears until you leave the mouse where it normally is for a few seconds. You can also shrink it.

Thanks Lucion, that got it sorted
I bought my first Mac yesterday, so it's all new to me!!

cheers

Reaction score
Thanks Lucion, that got it sorted
I bought my first Mac yesterday, so it's all new to me!!

cheers

I have had mine only two weeks now.:D I've just been reading the forum and looking at (but not necessarily touching!) all the options. Like I've said elsewhere, the Mac community is certainly a helpful bunch. Enjoy the Mac. I am!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.