• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do they actually check for student ID for education discount?

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanna buy a Macbook Pro. I'm student in Bermuda (a small island) and am going to NY soon. I just called the Apple Retail Store and asked if I can education discount there, they said yes. But it is only possible for U.S. Students and I am not a US Student. Now my question, if they see you are young so you must be a student, do they actually check you for ID? Or maybe is it worth to go try, or even show my bermudian student id hoping the cashier doesnt know?

I could also order online. Do you need to fax them a student ID?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yes, they do check for id. you can try, but if its only for us students, then they will enforce that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
retail store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
A person at a Mac place said that here in Canada, you can just call up Apple, and it doesn't matter who, or what grade, college or University you go to, if there's a person whose being educated in the your family, it's a discount for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That is entirely false.

The discount used to be for students in K-12 but they changed it a few years back for only Higher ed students. The discount only applies for the student themself, and you can't use your discount to purchase items for other people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.