Do mac support the files windows does?

Reaction score
Can a mac open things like rar files and zip files?
Also, will any usb flash drive be able to hold mac data?

Please help me. I'm in a dilemma of whether to buy a new mac or a new notebook. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Can a mac open things like rar files and zip files?
Also, will any usb flash drive be able to hold mac data?

Please help me. I'm in a dilemma of whether to buy a new mac or a new notebook. :(

Yes, those are computer file types that any OS can read.

Yes, a USB drive is not OS dependant.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
DB is right (as always).

you may also want to look here.
Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information
down the thread a bit is a Q&A titled: Will I be able to use all of my .XXX files with the programs on my new Mac? (i'll have to add the .zip and .rar ;))

there's also lots of info you may find useful to look over before making the switch.

Reaction score
I always suggest to people who are in such a dilemma to go out and find a modern mac to play with. This may be at a store, at a friend's, or at school.

Get your hands on the bride before marrying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
It shouldn't be a dilemma. You won't regret buying a Mac. If the bride is Scarlett Johanssen you don't need to handle the goods to know you're on to a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
when i switched i was questioning all this but have had no probs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It shouldn't be a dilemma. You won't regret buying a Mac. If the bride is Scarlett Johanssen you don't need to handle the goods to know you're on to a good thing.

Except after dating nicole ritchie, you hand her most of nicole's clothes and expect her to fit in it when all she can where are the accessories...Or you could just marry them both...

Wow....that was extremely ambiguous....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
The Mac will read Windows formats, for example, My USB drive is formatted in DOS because I have to use it on both my Macs and a XP box at work. Windows does not read OSX format.

Besides OS specific extensions, for example, ".exe", is a Windows specific extension.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Place a few files of interest onto a USB flash drive. Walk into any store with Macs and plug it it. Experiment to see what you can and can't open, then do research on any possible problem files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Place a few files of interest onto a USB flash drive. Walk into any store with Macs and plug it it. Experiment to see what you can and can't open, then do research on any possible problem files.

And if you go in to a non-specialized Mac store, say Compuserve or Fry's or some other retailer that happens to sell Macs...be sure you bring along the Kernel Panic screensaver, install it and watch all the non-Macknowledgable sales reps freak out :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.