dmg disk file with password

Reaction score
Hi all
I got a dmg file that I mount as a encrypted volume + with password.
normally that would require me to input the password before it's opened/mounted.
At some point I was lazy and ticked remember password.
I want to undo this now/forcing for password before opening.

cant' find reference to the password in the normal keychain,

please advise.

G

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Assuming the dmg file opens okay, the easy answer would be to remove the data contained to say, a folder on the desktop, delete the dmg and create a new dmg then transfer your data back to that.
Honestly, I have no idea where the password would be stored in Key Chain or in what format.
PS. You will need to unlock the dmg to delete it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
georgelza
Reaction score
Assuming the dmg file opens okay, the easy answer would be to remove the data contained to say, a folder on the desktop, delete the dmg and create a new dmg then transfer your data back to that.
Honestly, I have no idea where the password would be stored in Key Chain or in what format.
PS. You will need to unlock the dmg to delete it.
true... can do that... nd as a hack i'm busy, but still like to know where to remove the remembered password... just in case the original get restored from time machine, i don't want the file auto opened.
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nd as a hack i'm busy, but still like to know where to remove the remembered password... just in case the original get restored from time machine,

As far as I recall, encrypting a file with the password gets attached to the file pretty well permanently and I don't think can be changed on that particular file, but if one uses Disk Utility to change the password, doing so creates a new file with the new settings. I may be way off base but I believe that is how Apple had it set up, at least years ago. I don't know if they have changed the method or not.

- Patrick
=======

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
I'm not trying to change the password, i know the password. currently if i double click the dmg file it auto mounts, without prompting for the password. i want to instruct the system to forget the password taking me back to having to prompt for the password before mounting the file.
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm not trying to change the password, i know the password. currently if i double click the dmg file it auto mounts, without prompting for the password. i want to instruct the system to forget the password taking me back to having to prompt for the password before mounting the file.
G
It sounds like the password has been removed. Yes, I know you just told it to remember it, but it's acting as if the password was totally removed. I think you would be best served by mounting the dmg, then making a new dmg, with a new password and move everything from the old to the new, then deleting the old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i know the password. currently if i double click the dmg file it auto mounts, without prompting for the password.

I suspect something is not quite right or correct as you have described with your problem and situation and I'm really questioning whether that DMG file is actually password protected or not.

As far as I know, if a Mac DMG file is password protected, there is no way it will open without entering its s password. And if you forget the password your s*** out of luck.

So with that in mind, I don't think you have any other choice other than to use Disk Utility and password protect the file and maybe using the password you think it is password protected with.

Click the Encryption pop-up menu, then choose an encryption option.

Enter and re-enter a password to unlock the disk image, then click Choose.

WARNING: If you forget this password, you won’t be able to open the disk image and view any of the files.

Use the default settings for the rest of the options:

and:

I have never heard of a Mac encrypted password protected file opening without using its proper user generated password.

Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding your problem and what is happening.

EDIT:
I would agree with Jake who had just posted a few minutes before and above my post with his #7 post. His comments are very logical and make sense for the behaviour of your dmg file and your situation. 😉

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
georgelza
Reaction score
the file was DEF password protected... it def offers you the ability to remember the password (I can not see Apple having all the check and balances they have that if you select remember password that they in fact would remove the password), which I clicked at one point, stupid of me, yes... but now i want to remove it.

I have already copied the contents into a new file... but there are still backup's of this file on Time Machine, and if they are restored and double clicked then they will open without prompting for a password which I can not afford. as such I need to figure out how/where the password is stored to remove that reference.

G

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
I suspect something is not quite right or correct as you have described with your problem and situation and I'm really questioning whether that DMG file is actually password protected or not.

As far as I know, if a Mac DMG file is password protected, there is no way it will open without entering its s password. And if you forget the password your s*** out of luck.

So with that in mind, I don't think you have any other choice other than to use Disk Utility and password protect the file and maybe using the password you think it is password protected with.

and:

I have never heard of a Mac encrypted password protected file opening without using its proper user generated password.

Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding your problem and what is happening.

EDIT:
I would agree with Jake who had just posted a few minutes before and above my post with his #7 post. His comments are very logical and make sense for the behaviour of your dmg file and your situation. 😉

- Patrick
=======
maybe give it a go that side, create a small password protected dmg file, open it, it will prompt for password, notice the remember password in keychain tick box.
click it, close it and double click it again.
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it def offers you the ability to remember the password (I can not see Apple having all the check and balances they have that if you select remember password that they in fact would remove the password), which I clicked at one point, stupid of me, yes... but now i want to remove it.

From what I understand you have managed to copy and save the contents of the misbehaving password-protected file into a correctly working encrypted password-protected file that is working properly, so I would just delete all the copies of the misbehaving password-protected file from your computer and all backups including the time machine backup so only your current recreated correctly working file is the only copies on your computer or backup drives.

That would make sense to me, or is there some reason you don't want to do so?

Am I misunderstanding something regarding your situation?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you are concerned about the backups in TM, then you can start TM all over with a new full backup. Delete the offending dmg. Empty the trash. Erase the backup drive, restart TM and point to it as a new target and it will make a full, clean backup without the offending file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you look in Keychain Access (KA), in Applications > Utilities? If you have KA open and you open the DMG, doesn't it display or highlight the password file needed to unlock the dmg?

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
Resolved...

When opening Keychain app it allows you to open either "Keychain passwords" or "Open keychain Access"

I always selected Keychain passwords, as such when searching for the file name could not find it, your comment above about Keychain Access had me reopen the app and notice the difference... found the reference to the file and deleted it. At times it's the small detail and reading/realising...

and oh btw, ye I could have deleted all time machine backups, copied data into a new file, and then deleted all previous time machines backups but thats like taking a sledge hammer to drive in a pin nail... my TM's are to important to mess with, they've protected/helped me to many times in the pass... this way they are in tack, this file with the various versions are still there, and the data is now secure again.

Thanks all, appreciate the patience.

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this way they are in tack, this file with the various versions are still there,

OK, but I thought that was part of your original problem that the TM backup of the DMG files could be opened without having to enter an apparent password.

Anyway, I'm glad you seem to be happy with your fix and things are working as you want them to be.

- Patrick
=======

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
OK, but I thought that was part of your original problem that the TM backup of the DMG files could be opened without having to enter an apparent password.
This was part of the problem... but the files that could be restored from TM was auto opened by way of the password that was stored in the keychain access library. now that it is removed there, even if the file is restored from TM, it has to prompt for the password.

G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.