disposal of old Mac

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a 2008 iMac to a brand new one. Before I take it to the recycling center I would like to SAFELY remove everything from the old machine.
What is the best way to do that?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Poppi - I've sold a lot of Macs and iDevices online - most recently to SYM (Sell Your Mac) - you might want to check if a 2008 is worth anything (probably not?) - if recycling is your best choice, then check Apple's Advice on how to prepare your machine for disposal. Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What is the best way to do that?
With a hammer😉
No seriously, with a 2008 iMac apart from physically destroying the HD your only way is to use Disk Utility to erase the Macintosh HD. If this is not the Pro version then I suppose you were running El Capitan?
If so, these are Apples instructions for Intel Macs; Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support
El Capitan removed "Secure Erase" from the menu but if you are on Yosemite this option is available for a HDD but not advised for an SSD.

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a 2008 iMac to a brand new one. Before I take it to the recycling center...

Instead of recycling it, you may want to *donate* it to an organization that will make sure that it is giving to someone, somewhere, who really needs it. Often these places will offer to wipe the data from your drive for you (as well as refurbish the machine as necessary.) If you donate your old Mac, instead of recycling it, you will also get a nice tax deduction.

“InterConnection enables digital equity by providing technology and connectivity to underserved communities through sustainable refurbishment and re-use."

Digitunity

LEM Swap USA
which is the for sale forum for the Low End Mac (LEM) group.
You could always offer your gear up for free for the cost of shipping.

Apple Rescue of Denver specializes in rescuing and finding new homes for the wonderful Apple II and Macintosh computers.
There are complete systems available along with hard to find parts, peripherals, software and manuals to help keep these amazing computers working.

Freecycle is an online free recycling/gifting movement designed to keep tangible items out of landfills....a lot of computers get tossed out and there are many people who can use an old computer or a part from that computer.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That’s a great option, one that we don’t have in Australia.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Randy provided some great suggestions for passing your Mac on to someone who might benefit.

There is one thing that I think needs to be added, especially if you donate to a local organization. Some organizations do not like to take Macs, especially older ones, because they don't have anyone who can provide support/training.

This would certainly have been true for many schools in my area even as late as a few years ago. That is changing a bit as many local districts now have their teachers using Macs.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.