Dislike that system font in Yosemite? Here's a fix!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just stumbled across this article detailing a way to change the system font in Yosemite from HelveticaNeue to San Francisco. The latter is a new font that Apple developed specifically for the Apple Watch. I'd normally be loathe to link to anything from Gizmodo, but they have some good screen caps of the difference. I just applied the change and it does indeed look MUCH MUCH MUCH better! The only anomaly I've encountered is that the username in the top right of my screen for the user switching menu is offset a bit low. I think I can live with it. Here's Gizmodo's article:
Trust Us, Change Your Yosemite Font From Helvetica to San Francisco

Here's the original source for the tip on GitHub:
https://github.com/wellsriley/YosemiteSanFranciscoFont

I used the "Easy Install" option. What you do is run a command in Terminal and follow the prompts. That command is posted below.

There are other links in the GitHub site that point to other projects to do the same thing using other font families.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just applied the change and it does indeed look MUCH MUCH MUCH better! The only anomaly I've encountered is that the username in the top right of my screen for the user switching menu is offset a bit low. I think I can live with it.

I applied this as well and noticed the same thing. Same anomaly with the username but that doesn't bother me muvh.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need to go through all the apps that you regularly use before deciding to keep the new font. There are some alignment problems with certain apps so make sure you're OK with San Francisco before making it your permanent system font.

Also, keep in mind that as soon as 10.10.2 is released and you apply the update, you'll need to change the system font once again to San Francisco.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Good news everyone! Rumor has it that Apple will switch from Helvetica Neue to San Francisco with the next version of iOS and OS X.
Apple plans to refresh iOS 9, OS X 10.11 using new Apple Watch font | 9to5Mac

PS... can a mod mask the code I posted in my original post here? The project got a cease/desist order and it no longer works, or shouldn't. Don't wanna confuse anyone.

PPS... totally looking forward to seeing a certain someone do a complete 180 on his glowing approval of Apple's switch to Helvetica Neue if this happens. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I took care of it. And thanks for posting the new information. The Helvetica font wrecks havoc with one of my Bible programs that I use to transpose Bible verses from the program to MS Word. I have Word set to use Arial 14 as the standard font and wind up having to go back and make changes. Can be a real pain especially with long documents. Now I will be able to set Word to use San Francisco (which is a much clearer and easier to read font) and cut back on all my editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.