Disk Utility from external computer

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro's (OS 10.8) cd drive is dead. Disk Utility (DU) says the hard disk needs repairs and I need to run it off the install disks. Since the CD drive is dead, I can't run Disk Utility. (I don't expect DU to fix the CD, but I would like to run it to hopefully fix the hard drive.

I also have a working Macbook G4 (OS 10.4).

Can I connect the two in Target Mode and run DU off the G4 to fix the MPB?

Better yet, if possible, can I somehow install DU on a thumb drive off the MBP? If so, directions on how to accomplish this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're running Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) you can use Disk Utility from your Recovery partition. Just reboot holding down the Command plus R keys. Once in Recovery, you'll see a menu which has an option to initiate Disk Utility. You can attempt to repair your hard drive that way.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you, but I am running OS 10.6.8. Tryed your reboot suggestion anyway. Nothing happened.

Other suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Shut down the MBP. Grab a can of air, attach the straw, insert it into the optical drive slot and shoot 3-4 quick bursts of air in various directions. Then try the 10.6 disc again.

2. FW target disk mode might work - never tried repairing a drive that way, but, if it acts like an external drive it may.

3. Buy an external optical drive.

4. Boot to your cloned backup and run DU from there (another reason everyone should have a bootable clone backup, not just Time Machine).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you, but I am running OS 10.6.8.

Why did you say your MacBook Pro was running OS 10.8 in the first post then?? If it was a mistake...no problem. But at least tell us it was a mistake.:)

Other suggestions?

What OS install disks do you have? And let us know if they are the "gary" disks that came with the MacBook Pro...or if they are retail (store bought ) OS install disks.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.