Disk not ejected properly. Sonoma

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have just changed up to Sonoma a couple of weeks ago and yesterday this old chestnut reappeared. I've done a search on it as I know that i have posted about it before, but I can't find the flamin thing!

This morning I had to clear 31 disk not ejected properly messages. They were spread across the 2 1T Crucial SDDs I have connected through a Sitecom 4 way hub. It has been operating fine for about a year on Ventura, but the setting has changed in the upgrade and I can't find what it is/should be?

I have tried all of the combinations on System Settings, Energy Saver and it stays the same, so if anyone can help pretty please and stop me going further mad :oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Is this a USB A device using a USB C adaptor, as this has been an on/off issue for me since I bought my Mini, at one time I had multiple instance of the error, now I just get the occasional one.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ni Jim, it's a USB C from the iMac to the hub and C from the hub to the SSD.

This morning there were no disk connections at all and I haven't changed anything! I think that it's a plot to confuse the enemy.

It's a shame that I seem to be that enemy and it worked, I'm confused :frustrated2

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John, this is hugely irritating and telling you that this has been discussed ad infinitum raises the ire further.

But here are some Links which try to sort things out. Some are short, some long. One "suggestion" recurs - that you keep your Mac running all the time.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John, this is hugely irritating and telling you that this has been discussed ad infinitum raises the ire further.

But here are some Links which try to sort things out. Some are short, some long. One "suggestion" recurs - that you keep your Mac running all the time.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ian
Ian as I have had this problem for some time, and even got a thread on here about it, I have read all the above, none work because regardless of settings etc it still occurs though now, as mentioned, only occasionally.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just cleared yet another lot this morning, all 91 of the dammed things! Yet another morning there will just be a few or non at all. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just cleared yet another lot this morning, all 91 of the dammed things! Yet another morning there will just be a few or non at all. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it?
I just have 2 external disks, and now when I get the message it is just one for each, though, like you, I use to get dozens.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that I will get on to Apple Care and see what they say?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You know getting that many notifications is strange, two I can understand but 91? To me that indicates the drives have reconnected then disconnected over and over and I can only imagine your hub could be responsible for that.
Just to humor me could you try just one drive plugged directly into the Mac o/night to see if you get any disconnect notices by eliminating the hub.

Another thing worth mentioning is that this was an issue for a lot of users prior to macOS 14.4 which supposedly fixed some connectivity issues. Since 14.5 I have been asked (once) for approval of every peripheral I plug in, such as a new Anker USB hub I bought for my wife today.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
connected through a Sitecom 4 way hub.

Is that hub powered separately from the mains?

Rod's suggestion about connecting one SSD directly to the Mac - great idea - got me thinking about how the Hub was powered because if it gets its power from the Mac rather from the mains, that could explain your problem?

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will try that tonight Rod, thank you. It may not prove anything as there are times when there aren't any occurences, but I will try

I'm glad you said 'bought' and not 'got' as it may well have been confused for a swap :eek:

It's a USB powered hub Ian, but it's operated perfectly for an age before this.

I have a second USB powered hub connected as well. That has an ethernet connection in it and a CCC HDD. That hasn't given any problems

I started this yesterday and forgot to send it! A senior moment me-thinks?

I connecter the SSDs to the other hub yesterday and there's no 'Disk not ejected' messages this morning, so I will see how it goes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My finding using an SSD with a USB-A connection, when connected to a USB-A output either direct or via a hub, no issues, however, connection via a USB-C adaptor, hub, etc and I tried a few different ones, when this first started, was when I had the issue. This is what I first used, and like you I would get multiple errors overnight, OS upgrade and they stopped, now you the occasional one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09PRG6XB6/

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a USB powered hub Ian, but it's operated perfectly for an age before this.

I have a second USB powered hub connected as well. That has an ethernet connection in it and a CCC HDD. That hasn't given any problems

I openly recognise what you say; but it could still be the problem depending on how the "draw" of power is being distributed at certain times.

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a bit of a shame that we couldn't afford to go to the next M1 model up as this has just 2 u
USB slots in the back. That would have cut the need for hubs a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
USB powered hubs are notorious, overall, for low power capability. I always use powered hubs, particularly for external drives. I only use a USB powered hub for travel, when I just need one or two more ports than I have on the MBP itself. But if I load up a USB powered hub with more than one, maybe two, drives, I get the same erratic performance. There may be better hubs out there somewhere, but it was just easier to get a powered hub and do away with the issue altogether.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Jake, I think that I will head down that route.

Any suggestions for one that doesn't need a mortgage please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No real recommendation. I got a couple of them from Amazon. One has 5 ports, the other has 4.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After changing the 2 SSDs over to another hub there were no messages this morning, but from previous experience that's no indication of a fix and I can't be assed to wait.

So I have aslo ordered 1 from amazon. As I would really like to use just one hub it's this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C9WT79W4/

Amazon really do have some catchy, easy to remember web addresses. Thais one was 13 lines long o_O

What with everything else I nearly forgot to say thank you to everyone for hopefully digging me out of a hole yet again, so a big thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.