Disk Imaging on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro Retina - Dual Core 3Ghz Intel i7 - 8GB Memory - Intel HD4000 768MB - 512GB SSD
Hi all, this is my first post woot woot...hopefully I am doing this right. I actually am fairly new to my mac (3mths) . I was a windows user before this. Anyways, I also own a raspberry pi. I was curious how to actually put disk images onto usb/sd using disk utility? A google search wasn't yielding what I was looking for. Also, I am not looking for a sudo command. I want to be able to take an image/iso and write it to a thumb drive or sd card via disk utility. Thanks in advance for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have the .dmg file, open Disk utility, drag to left hand pane and copy.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro Retina - Dual Core 3Ghz Intel i7 - 8GB Memory - Intel HD4000 768MB - 512GB SSD
I am sorry.. Could you possibly elaborate more on that? I do not understand what you mean by drag to the left hand pane and copy.Thanks for the response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get the file to the desktop, open Disk Utility, drag to the left hand pane and proceed from there. no other way to put it. Or format the drive and simply drag the file to the disk.

C

chas_m

If you want to COPY the .iso to a thumb drive for burning on another machine, simply mount the thumb drive and it will appear on the desktop. Then drag the iso onto it. Then PROPERLY eject the thumb drive by dragging the thumb drive icon to the trash (or right-click, eject command, wait for the icon to disappear). You're done.

If you're trying to "burn" the CONTENTS of a disk image onto a thumb drive, you need to use the built-in Disk Utility or the free Burn (or some other third-party tool of your choice). Check the help file in Disk Utility for very clear instructions on how to do this, or download Burn (it's free) and play around with it (use the help file there as well). You'll get the hang of it in seconds, I am sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.