Disk Full - investigation needs work

Reaction score
Many users (including me) see Hard Disk space being filled up. On a 1 TB drive I'm down to about 140 GB, but eventually the message "Disk Full" will appear.

When I run SuperDuper to make an external USB bootable hard disk, the target shows all the disk space I expect (1TB less what is reported by GetInfo on the original drive).

MANY users report this problem.

Disk Repair - Not useful
Disk Inventory - shows same set of files on both drives. Does NOT show what's in the OTHER category.

SuperDuper mentions not copying files not needed, so is the only way to clean up this problem. Copy and make bootable an external drive. Boot to the external drive, SuperDuper back to the internal drive, and it works for a while until it starts filling up again.

APPLE tech support had no solutions that work. Is this an Operating System glitch/bug in their overall design? It comes up in all recent editions. I'm running Yosemite now.

Internal Drive is a Hybrid drive, some solid state and mostly standard hard disk type.

Use google and type in "macbook hard drive full for no reason" -- a huge problem for many.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J
Reaction score
Many users (including me) see Hard Disk space being filled up. On a 1 TB drive I'm down to about 140 GB, but eventually the message "Disk Full" will appear.

When I run SuperDuper to make an external USB bootable hard disk, the target shows all the disk space I expect (1TB less what is reported by GetInfo on the original drive).

DriveUsageIssue_zps43913e39.jpg

The two drives listed in the image have the same OS, same contents, and when I boot to the USB drive, everything looks and works the same. The internal drive is filled with garbage. The USB drive was just created (as a bootable drive) using SuperDuper.

MANY users report this problem. Do you have any idea what's going on? Is it the latest APPLE OS for MacBook ??

Use google and type in "macbook hard drive full for no reason" -- a huge problem for many.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
I've run Disk Inventory X and MacKeeper to show all the files on the drives, both programs report the same drive usage, but the Apple "About this Mac" Storage tab shows a huge "Other" section on the internal drive.

If I boot to the external USB drive, then use SuperDuper to copy to the internal drive, I get back several hundred GB of space, then the two drives appear to be the same in terms of size and usage. But after a while, the Internal drive will again begin to fill up for no apparent reason.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've run Disk Inventory X and MacKeeper to show all the files on the drives, both programs report the same drive usage, but the Apple "About this Mac" Storage tab shows a huge "Other" section on the internal drive.
… … ...

Oh my God...!!!! MacKeeper rears its ugly head again!!!!

I'd suggest —*Lose it!! You'll need to Google for instructions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What Mac do you have?

M

MacInWin

I did that and didn't see that many recent posts, certainly not recent enough to say it's epidemic. What I would recommend is running Onyx (you can get it here) and run the clean up process. Just leave the defaults and it will clean caches for you. Get rid of MacKeeper and any other third party "cleanup" software. All you need, or ever will need, for that process is Onyx.

C

chas_m

Also, is it possible you have Time Machine turned on but no Time Machine drive? If so, it will write backups to the boot drive, slowly filling it up. I would expect SuperDuper would not copy those over, which could explain what's going on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.