disk errors installing new external drive

Reaction score
always end up here when I got a problem.
here's the system computer: 27 in iMac 2019 16 gig ram 1t internal drive Ventura 13.3.1 accessory: d22s 21 in.Artisul graphics tablet. external drives for data and backup.

here's the problem and what I've done so far
setting up new 16 T ssd external drive. not displayed on desktop. Try to Mount in disk Utility : "
Disk Management disenter error 49244"

try first aid. says successful
mount greyed out. tried erase error 1-69760 failed.

took to pc comes up "uninitialized " I formatted it to exfat successfully PC,
put on iMac tried to mount error 49244 again. this time first aid failed
tried Formatting failed. error -69760

Hope there's a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
here's the problem and what I've done so far
setting up new 16 T ssd external drive. not displayed on desktop. Try to Mount in disk Utility : "
Disk Management disenter error 49244"

I do not know the correct answer, but can that iMac model actually support such a large solid state drive???

Apple's Specs for those bottles seem to indicate a maximum size that can be used, at least internally I assume. I don't know if that applies to external or not.

That is one awfully big amount of storage data. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1Max 16" MacBook Pro with macOS 13.2
setting up new 16 T ssd external drive
I was recently shopping for SSDs and hard drives, so I believe that I am aware of recent prices.

Let me use Other World Computing as a typical seller.

On their page for SSDs for your model iMacs::
They only very recently added 4 TB SSDs. Their prices for those 4 TB SSDs is $500, so given that USUALLY the prices for SSDs is roughly linear depending on the SSD's capacity then a 16 TB SSD should run about $2000 IF one were available.

On the other hand, here is their page for 3.5-inch internal SATA hard drives:
While their prices can vary a lot, their current first entry is for a 16 TB Toshiba hard drive for $258.

Let me note this story from early in 2023:
in which Amazon.com was featuring 16 TB SSD for only $100. One reviewer opened up this drive only to find a generic microSD card with only 64 GBs on it. I recall another story which added this detail: what this supposedly large capacity SSD did in order to fake the purchaser into believing that, say, 5 TBs of data was being transfered, these fake drives copied that 5 TBs by reusing the 64 GBs over and over again. What you would get is MAYBE the last 64 GBs from the last time that the 5 TBs of data was being copied, but of course any attempt to read anything beyond that last 64 GBs was useless.

As that reviewer warned: "The old maxim remains true: if it’s too good to be true, it probably isn’t."

Reaction score
...setting up new 16 T ssd external drive.

There is a very common scam going around where folks are selling no-name Chinese-made extremely large capacity SSD's for prices that are too good to be true. The SSD's themselves usually use re-flashed cheap USB thumb drive chips designed to report that they have much more capacity than they really do.

In many cases these "SSD's" don't work at all. If they do work, they won't store much data and they won't perform well.

Here is an example of one for sale:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805348261982.html

OP
E
Reaction score
when formatted in windows NT file system it can be read on the iMac and info shows 16 tb as capacity. windows shows 16 tb as capacity too. I see Randy points out the chips can LIE about capacity. So info can be fooled . Thanks for the education. I learned lots here. at least it wasn't a huge amount of money . i'll be more careful next time. buy from local store. thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
next time. buy from local store. thanks everyone.

Or a good reputable online store. ;-)

And maybe use your System Information and see what it says about the drive. It should list some information that Disc Utility may not show.

Hold down your option key as you click to access About this Mac for quick access to your System Information.

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
All these posts are fine and good but they don't answer what I thought was implied with the original post.
Can a 16TB EXTERNAL drive (SSD or spinner) be used with this iMac?
Is there actually a size limit and if so what is it?
Does the size limit, if any, depend on the type of connectivity used?
I did a bit of googling but could not find any answers.
That all assumes the external is a true 16TB drive, not a fake one the OP may have.

OP
E
Reaction score
I didn't find an answer when I googled either. And short of taking it apart I know no way to prove its real or fake. i don't know anyone around me who has a Mac to test it on. but for pm-r , here's what system sees -
Disk 3.1:
Product ID: 0x1234
Vendor ID: 0x048d (Integrated Technology Express, Inc.)
Version: 1.00
Serial Number:
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/s
Manufacturer: Vendor
Location ID: 0x14300000 / 15
Current Available (mA): 50
Current Required (mA): 100
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
Media:
UDisk:
Capacity: 16.78 TB (16,777,216,000,000 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
BSD Name: disk10
Logical Unit: 0
Partition Map Type: Unknown
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
USB Interface: 0

krs

Reaction score
I didn't find an answer when I googled either. And short of taking it apart I know no way to prove its real or fake.
I'm pretty sure it's fake as Randy said, but if you can mount it (not sure if you managed that now), you can just test it by writing large files to it and see at which point that "16TB drive" is full.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sadly @eggman, the seller sells things. If you bought something from Amazon which was a disaster, Amazon accepts the return of that item. No questions asked if returned in good time.

But if you buy an item from another source and it turns out to be a "fake" or fails to meet decent standards, I guess that your only option is to try and return that item to the vendor and hope for a reimbursement.

The fact that Amazon sells the same/similar item is not a guarantee that it's perfect, but at least you can return it.

I feel deeply sorry for your misfortune.

Ian

Reaction score
sold by Amazon

Here is a "16TB SSD" for just over $10 being sold on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Internal-Portable-Computer-Windows/dp/B09SVFSPVX/ref=sr_1_1

You may want to read the Amazon reviews.

"Its fake. Same hardware as multiple other items for sale. Look at other reviews."

"FAKE, DANGEROUS!
FAKE DRIVE WILL DELETE DATA. CONTAINS SD CARD."

Here is the exact same fake POS SSD from China, for about the same price:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805246684237.html

A real 16TB SSD will be going for about $3,000 (not $10). e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-External-Aluminum-SB-DXMQ-8X2/dp/B097LVLWWN/ref=sr_1_3

I'm willing to bet you anything that what you purchased is just about completely worthless. There is no reason to play with it further to figure that out. If you can still return it to Amazon, I strongly suggest that you do so quickly before it gets to be too late to do so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a very common scam going around where folks are selling no-name Chinese-made extremely large capacity SSD's for prices that are too good to be true.

Here's an example of the scam this reels poster is trying to spread word about that I came across today. Hopefully, it'll be spread and passed on by others and put the scammers out of business:

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.