Disconnecting Macbook Air battery

Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to circumstances, I was unable to have the battery changed in my early 2009 Macbook Air. I'm an expat and was unable to get a battery shipped to me.

So here's my situation. The Air runs fine but there is zero battery capacity left so I have to have it pllugged in gettiing charger power whenever I want to use it. But alas, the problem now is the battery is starting to expand to the point where its opened the case from the front right corner to nearly the middle of the trac pad.

What I'd like to know is can I merely disconnect the batttery and have it conpletely out of the loop so to speak and run the Air just off the plugged in charger?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you need to do is remove the defective battery that has begun to swell before it damages your MacBook Air. I'm not sure your MBA will even run with the battery disconnected but that's better than damaging the machine. You didn't tell us where you're located at but if possible, get the battery changed out. Your MBA is going on 7 years old so you might even think about replacing it.

OP
C
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is remove the defective battery that has begun to swell before it damages your MacBook Air. I'm not sure your MBA will even run with the battery disconnected but that's better than damaging the machine. You didn't tell us where you're located at but if possible, get the battery changed out. Your MBA is going on 7 years old so you might even think about replacing it.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Pro and a more recent Air as well. I just would like to use the impacted Air as more of a desktop since disconnecting it erases everything basically. I am in SEA and didn't get the battery replaced b ecause Apple in Singapore refused to give me an estimate on replacing the battery and I wasn't going to send it to them only to learn I was unwilling to pay their price for the replacement. I felt the replacement was pretty straightforward and it couldnt' be so difficult to come up with a price.

I've had some other issues with Apple Singapore such as an outright refusal to honor a promise backed up by a case number on a phone matter. In general I believe Apple provides excellent customer support and service but Singapore does not subscribe to the overall Apple philosophy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Your MacBook Air will will run without its battery. I would remove the battery ASAP. If left to expand further in worst case scenarios it can push off the bottom case forcing it over the screws and enlarging the screw holes, and also distort the top case and damage the trackpad.

Due to the MacBook Air's age Apple no longer can supply a battery. Third party batteries are available, some are OK, some awful.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am in SEA and didn't get the battery replaced b ecause Apple in Singapore refused to give me an estimate on replacing the battery and I wasn't going to send it to them only to learn I was unwilling to pay their price for the replacement. I felt the replacement was pretty straightforward and it couldnt' be so difficult to come up with a price.

Yes..the battery replacement is VERY straightforward! And because it is...do it yourself…all is good!:)

One possible source for a battery:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Macbook-Air-Battery-A1245-Replacement-p-17206.html

Battery replacement procedure:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+Models+A1237+and+A1304+Battery+Replacement/848

- Nick

p.s. As mentioned above. Remove the battery ASAP! And as mentioned…not all replacement batteries are equal.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks techiesteve,

It is now history and I can reaffirm your statement it will run without the battery. I took it today to an Apple repair shop. The single tech removed the battery in about 15 minutes. And yes I figured since the front of the lap was badly distorted, I was settled on the fact that it would never close properly again. Wrong!! I think he must have proviced a couple of free screws to even close the case. The Air now looks nearly new.

Thank you for your reply

P.S. I'll add while under warranty from Singapore, a couple of missing screws were replaced and they charged me 6 USD for two of them out of a six pack of screws. They gave me the four unused screws in a plastic bag when I picked up the lap. I wish Apple had a better or different footprint in SEA.

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you pigoo3

I appreciate your reply. As I mentioned I have had said battery removed today by a local non Apple Shop. They did it on the spot. The tech used two different sized screw drivers which due to where I live would be less than easy to buy.

But again, the iService shop said I could not get a replacement for a 2009 Air two years ago. I can buy it today from this shop for $125 USD. Not sure I'll replace the battery as the lap is on a fan stand and I can just use it as a stationary laptop. It's a version 10.6.8 and if memory serves me, it can't be upgraded.

I am totally happy with Apple but I do have serious reservtions about their Singapore operation which several time tried to overrule decisions made from several senior advisors from around the world. I could not believe some of the things they said in response to my saying I have a contractual promise from Apple and you seem to feel it is OK to breech it.

Your reply is much appreciated..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.