Discarded file now Text Edit file and won't open

Reaction score
Hi,

I discarded a Pages document in error (it did tell me that the information may be lost). However I found the file but it is somehow now an exec file (green writing in the top left hand corner of a dark grey square). On investigation the file type is Text Edit. When I try to open it I get this message:

The file isn't in the correct format. The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in an unexpected format.

Does anyone know how I can open it?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

You can try renaming the file to add .pages as the extent to see if Pages will then open it. Use Finder to get to the file, then right click on it and Get Info. Unlock the padlock in the bottom corner and then rename the file. You'll get warnings about that as you do it, but at this point the file is useless, so you really have little to lose.

OP
D
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You can try renaming the file to add .pages as the extent to see if Pages will then open it. Use Finder to get to the file, then right click on it and Get Info. Unlock the padlock in the bottom corner and then rename the file. You'll get warnings about that as you do it, but at this point the file is useless, so you really have little to lose.

Thanks Jake, I did try to rename it, but no luck. By the way, the file name of the exec file is as follows:

Task Text - Question.pages.sb-06d1f990-kdHlXN

does this make any difference?

M

MacInWin

If you want Pages to even be able to try, the file needs to END in .pages. So I would rename it and get rid of everything after .pages, including the extra "." just after pages. So, the file name would end up being "Task Text - Question.pages"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.