Dilemma on whether to keep what I have or return for something else

Reaction score
I currently have the 2014 MacBook Pro Retina 8GB RAM with the i5 processor and a late 2013 quad core iMac. I bought these both this month, but I've realized that I don't need both. Should I return both and get the beefy i7 MacBook Pro or should I return the iMac and keep the entry level Retina model? Would it be enough? I'm a computer programmer, but I do most of my job at work unless I'm playing around.

Also...I may have a little bit of a purchasing problem.
:Grimmace:
Thanks for the responses in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you have your doubts about keeping both computers…and you want portability…return the iMac & keep the MBP.

You weren't very specific what you use your Apple computers for. So at this point I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade to the "beefy i7".

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
I mainly use it for surfing the web, streaming HD video, and doing Java programming through Eclipse and remotely accessing other systems for programming(not very resource intensive). I don't do video editing, but I would use photo editing maybe before moving to an external hard drive. I usually have a 3 year upgrade plan so I'm wanting something that won't be slow before that period ends. Also, I do light gaming and old school emulation for SNES games and such.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't comment on the (which computer to keep part)…but if you planned on keeping the MacBook Pro…I'm not seeing a need to upgrade it.

It would help though if you were more specific as to the exact MacBook Pro you have now (probably 13" display…don't know CPU speed & storage amount)…and the one you would upgrade to if you decided to upgrade.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's quite a difference in models. Going from a 13" to 15" display, 128gig to 256gig storage, and dual CPU to Quad CPU.

I think that the 15" MBP would be overkill. But at the same time…the 13" MBP you have I would consider the 128gig of storage to be on the small side (I would get at least 256gig of storage).

I also wanted to point out one LARGE ERROR in the specs for the Best Buy MBP. This $1799 15" MacBook Pro DOES NOT have the dedicated NVIDIA 750M graphics. This model has the integrated Iris Pro graphics only. The 15" MBP with the 750M is quite a bit more expensive at $2499. The Best Buy "specs" says it has the dedicated 750M graphics.

Just another reason why I don't shop for Apple computers at Best Buy. Errors!!!:( But I do see Best Buy has knocked $200 off this 15" MBP model.:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
I noticed that error too. That's a huge one. ha. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it tomorrow. I don't like shopping there myself(worked there in the past), but unfortunately they are the only place in town that sells Apple products unless I drive to Memphis. The other store that sells them here charges $100 more than Apple does for every model!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as you don't have a problem with the greater weight & footprint of the 15" MBP…it seems like a decent deal. That $200 off is nice!:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
I have a rather stupid question. What exactly does "footprint" mean in regards to laptops?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a rather stupid question. What exactly does "footprint" mean in regards to laptops?

"Footprint" can apply to many things.:)

Think about what "footprint" means. What happens when two people walk in the snow or mud. One person has size 7 shoes...and the other has size 12 shoes. Who leaves the larger "footprints"??;)

So if comparing a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro...which one has a larger footprint?:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.