• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Digital Legacy: How to Set Up a Legacy Contact

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I put this in the General Discussion forum rather than one of the more Apple-specific areas because we need to think about this for all of our digital footprint, not just the Apple ecosystem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Sly. It's a subject that we all should be thinking about.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
SWMBO has been after me for a while to address this. She's not just thinking about websites we frequent, FB, and the like, but also the passwords/login info for tons of other stuff as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have a document on my desktop named, "I am dead, you need this." In it are passwords to my password vault and a reminder of accounts I have signed up for that would need to be cancelled after I'm gone. My wife and children know it is there. I review/update it once a month. They also have the password for the Mac itself so they can get to that document. And I did set my wife in the Digital Legacy as the designated person. With all the tech today it is important to make sure our survivors have information they need.

EDIT: Don't forget to pass along any PINs that you may have set, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
With all the tech today it is important to make sure our survivors have information they need.

So true... At least try and make things a bit easier for them when when the time comes... 😇

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Jake my wife is a strong believer in careful ,accurate, labelling so she approves of your document 100%.
I have provided our children with my device passwords and the password to my Password Manager but the Apple Legacy Contact system only appears to cover data stored in iCloud. So that would not include the majority of my photos, most of my music, my Documents Folder (which is huge) containing medical and tax information, bank transactions, utility providers, car registration, property records etc, etc.

It makes a good argument for storing Photos, Documents and Desktop folders on iCloud, something I've always resisted and I have to wonder, is this is part of Apple's strategy?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.