Different Keyboard & Mouse for iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi all - my wife has been on her early 2013 iMac for about 18 months now and has complained about the original KB & mouse that came w/ the machine - I know that we could (and have) go to a local store and 'test' some out (and probably will soon).

BUT, just wondering if there are any suggestions as to brands/models that seen to work best w/ the newer iMacs? I'd want BT so no wires please; and these peripherals do not need a lot of 'bells & whistles' - just the basic features that come w/ the current devices she uses (a numeric keypad might be useful) - thanks for any comments. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I'm living in the Stone Age Dave, because I use an Apple wired keyboard and a third party wired mouse. :p

However, I have done research on third party keyboards. The brand I found to have the best reviews from users is Macally. They also make wireless rodents.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm living in the Stone Age Dave, because I use an Apple wired keyboard and a third party wired mouse. :p

However, I have done research on third party keyboards. The brand I found to have the best reviews from users is Macally. They also make wireless rodents.

Hi Chscag - nothing wrong w/ the Stone Age life - LOL! Found a corded mouse below that Fred Flintstone would enjoy - :)

But my wife insists on taking food & beverages into the computer room and uses those gigantic plastic cups - SO, would rather have 'wireless' peripherals next to her drinks - ;)

Thanks for the link - will take a look - Dave

stone_mouse.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...my wife has been on her early 2013 iMac for about 18 months now and has complained about the original KB & mouse that came w/ the machine - I know that we could (and have) go to a local store and 'test' some out (and probably will soon).

Since your wife does not like the Apple keyboard & mouse…it sounds like she may have parameters/needs that she may not even put into words. So the unfortunate answer is…she probably needs to go to an electronics store of some sort…and touch/feel various keyboards & mice/input devices…to see what she likes (touch/feel/look).

This can also be an exercise in human psychology. If she chooses it…then she's more likely to "buy into it"…and like what she chooses.;) Instead of the the Apple product she was "forced" to use (came with the computer).;)

As you can imagine…keyboards & input devices are all about touch/feel/ergonomics…thus it's difficult for one person to tell another person what is "good".

The great thing is most wired devices will work with Mac's…but I'm not quite as familiar with most non-Apple bluetooth devices. You probably would have many more choices with wired products. If you want guaranteed Mac-compatible bluetooth devices with features specifically geared towards Apple products…you may have a more narrow selection.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
An older Bluetooth Apple keyboard might work for her. The modern ones can be weird if you are used to more key travel etc. Prior to 2007 there was model A1016. Have a Google at that one. They can usually be found quite reasonably priced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion Dave send your wife off to a computer store. The advantage of this she can find what she likes (and spend her own money!).

Logitech, Microsoft, Lazer and Belkin keyboards and mice all work well with iMacs with the correct Bluetooth/Drivers.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys for all of the good comments - I'll be off to some local stores w/ her to test out some 'ergonomic' features of keyboards and mice - still would like wireless connections but would consider USB if she likes a model w/ only that feature. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.