Did something related to iCloud and now Desktop icons are gone except "Macintosh HD"

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And that is something that Apple should really address.

It is also something that most new Mac users don't even realize. All the way, just too confusing.

Or just ignore and don't use any iCloud stuff unless one can actually use it properly and/or understand how it works. And I think Apple could do a much better job of explaining that.

- Patrick
=======

I agree completely Patrick. Along with the initial setup promotion of encryption the "offer" to store your Documents and Desktop files on iCloud should come with way more explanation of what that actually means. I constantly warn people when performing a setup of a new device to NOT opt for encryption or storing those folders in iCloud Drive. You can always defer your decision, at least until you understand the implications but even then it's poorly explained. Undoing these options is unnecessarily complex.
It's as if Apple assumes that everybody can afford unlimited storage and is connected to fast internet via WiFi 24/7 which is simply not the case. The same issues occur with iCloud Photo Library. Great when it's working but just try unsubscribing and you will see what I mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, Patrick, Patrick, that's Podunk UTAH, not Idaho. Podunk Idaho is so small it doesn't show on Google, maps or satellite images. The "Welcome to Podunk" and "Thanks for visiting Podunk" signs are on the same post...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Patrick, Patrick, Patrick, that's Podunk UTAH, not Idaho.

But it's still a Podunk place like all the others, but I did think the number of surrounding mountains was a bit odd for Idaho, or was I thinking it was in one of those flat prairie type states!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, but Patrick, Idaho has mountains. In fact, some are really tall. Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.58.17 PM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all your Mac-Wisdomisms ??
This morning, after having my machine turned off for at least 24hrs, I unplugged the ethernet cat5 cable and fired the old gal (Late 2013) up, making sure the WIFI signal remained turned off on machine. I explored a sampling of files from each desktop folder (except the iCloud Drive (Archive) one I placed on desktop in my panick mode a few days ago). I was able to confirm, offline mind you, that everything is indeed "on" my machine and not "just" on iCloud. Makes sense right, no connection and I can open what's on my desktop as well as programs such as, Word, Excel and etc.?
So, still offline, I connected the Seagate 1T, created "iMac Backup 2/4/2021" folder, and 3 subfolders; Applications, Desktop and Documents. Successfully so far I've copied Desktop and Documents. The Applications are presently still copying to T1 - 15GB of 20.18 thus far, it'll take some time to finish. I'll post up some screenshots once all done and I can get online on my machine.
Thanks again so much.
Thus forum, to me, will be as valuable as the "Turbo Diesel Register" was when I first acquired my 99 Cummins (with a Dodge wrapped around it) in 5/01 and continues to be my "go to" place frequently to just look around see if I can help, if I need help or just want to learn something new. I will be an active member of this "mac-forums" until I no longer have need, which will be when I haven't a breath left or no longer have a mac = "Mac for Life".
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ah, but Patrick, Idaho has mountains. In fact, some are really tall.

Thanks, Jake, I often seem to get a lot of the individual states and their typography confused, and that would include Idaho which I usually imagine with miles and miles of flat dry soil and their gorgeous potatoes.

PS: you don't suppose that is a high-speed internet cable stretched between what looks like fence posts in the foreground of the picture you posted above do you??? :giggle :rolleyes: They make it look like a farmer's fencing for security reasons I believe and to help blend in with the wild country.

It also looks very similar to some places around this area and the mountains are very typical as well.

- Patrick
=======

OP
J
Reaction score
All Good!(y)

Offline Desktop

Offline Desktop Files

1-Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.55.13 AM.png

2-Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 9.58.44 AM.png

3- Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 10.55.04 AM.png

Backup on T1 drive

I'm good to go!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow, your desktop reminds me of my Windows days. Nice looking truck!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks. It was a 90 XLT Larry, purchased in Oct 95, lost in a flood June 96. Since 5/01 I've owned a 99 Cummins with a quad cab, long bed, 4x4, auto, Dodge wrapped around it

Reaction score
I have a folder in my Home Folder called My Items. On my desktop I have an alias of that folder for easy everyday access. I have my Quicken backups there, folders about various organizations I belong to, folders about Computer tips I have culled, etc. My Apple Documents folder is empty. I have a folder called Myname's Documents in My Items. The My Items folder is saved in Dropbox which gives more free storage than Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Whoopie, that is your first post in this thread. What is it you are trying to say? Do you like what you have, or are you saying you also have the same issue as the original poster in the thread? I couldn't figure out from your post.

Reaction score
@Whoopie, that is your first post in this thread. What is it you are trying to say? Do you like what you have, or are you saying you also have the same issue as the original poster in the thread? I couldn't figure out from your post.
I was describing a way to have an icon (alias) on the desktop that stores MY stuff and isn't in icloud. This works conveniently and easily and doesn't use my iCloud Storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.