Did my SSD upgrade work?

Reaction score
My time machine is restoring but will take 5 hours. If I’m at this point, does this mean my swap worked, or can anything else go wrong? I could not install Sierra fro my boot drive.

Tony.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, I guess it worked! Man, talk about FAST! Now I just have to ditch my old spinner external backup hard drive. iMovie 10 has always bogged my computer down so hard that it was almost useless. Not anymore!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Tony.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, I guess it worked! Man, talk about FAST! Now I just have to ditch my old spinner external backup hard drive. iMovie 10 has always bogged my computer down so hard that it was almost useless. Not anymore!

Congrats on the successful SSD install and Time Machine restore!:)

As far as the old spinner drive...if it's still in ok shape...can always use it as an extra backup drive...or an external data drive.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Wow! Simply amazing! If I close all my apps and click shutdown, it takes 5 seconds for the screen to lose power. Once I hit the power button, it takes about 10 to 12 seconds to see my login screen. From there, it's another 10 seconds and I'm already on the internet.

Before the swap, it would take one to three minutes for the computer to shut down. It would take 5 to 10 minutes from the time I turned on the computer until I was back on the internet. And even from there, it was still choppy and unreliable.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions, guys! I still haven't maxed out the RAM. I'm still only running 8GB. (early 2011 13" MBP).

Oh, and if you guys missed it, I installed a Crucial 1TB SSD.

Tony.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very nice on with the 1TB SSD. That's a great size drive allowing you a bunch of onboard storage. Many times depending on the cost of the SSD (especially in previous years)...some compromises needed to be made...where a user had to settle for a 128 or 256gig SSD to get the speed of the SSD...(but less onboard storage).

Yes & like you said...really awesome how the upgrade from a spinner HD to an SSD can REALLY make an older computer feel so much faster & breath some new life into it!:)

Congrats again,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Now I just have to ditch my old spinner external backup hard drive.

A single backup is minimal if you have any vital files or photos etc. needing protection.

I still haven't maxed out the RAM. I'm still only running 8GB.
You may not need to, and it depends on what you do with your Mac. And besides, any swaps will be very fast now with your SSD.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.