developer tools for jaguar?

M

m4cw4re_syst3m

Greetings, I'm a linux user of many years who recently purchased an ibook second hand so i could learn what all this OSX freebsd stuff was about.

I've got to say its a very nice system, i like it a lot.

One thing though, i've got OSX Jaguar installed now yet i can't compile anything - no c compiler present - nor can i find the developer tools, i've googled and all sorts to no avail, Xcode seems to be only for OSX Panther not Jaguar, and having just paid for the ibook i'm not yet ready to part with more cash :( especially if my only reason for doing so is a c compiler collection which has been available free for years!

Are there developer tools applications for Jaguar? or is there a gcc collection for jaguar?

Any help in this greatly appreciated, any mention of tools or anything - i'm not even sure what i'm looking for
c/c++ compilers and then python and php if possible also? i beleve once i've got gcc on i will be able to configure python and php without too much trouble but having a freebsd system without a compiler feels kinda...well naked.

thanks again

m4cw4re_syst3m

OP
M

m4cw4re_syst3m

Urrrm, does no-one know how to develop software on a mac then?
I'd heard Mac users were less technical but i didn't think it was this bad.

can no-one help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
lol relax dude, less technical? pff no need to insult to get us to respond, it was a long weekend.

Yes, the jaguar developer tools are very good, OSX is said to be built for the developer, and its reaction is it gets better for the user.

Go to the apple developer connection's webpage, they have free dev tools, all dev tools are free.

I suggest the December Dev tools 2002 and then the august 2003 dev tools to help you out. Check versiontracker.com ide help you more, but "im less technical"

OP
M

m4cw4re_syst3m

Excellent :) Just the info i was looking for, thank you sir!
Sorry about baiting you with the 'less technical' comment but i kept seeing the number of views rising with still no replies so i thought maybe a poke in the right direction would get me a reply. - and from a moderator no less ;)

I'm still really enjoying tinkering with osx though, the bsd simulator is lovely indeed and does make me feel at home
Thanks a lot again for your technically sound reply ;)

laterz
m4cw4re

OP
M

m4cw4re_syst3m

actually, im still a little lost, by "apples developer page" do you mean here...
http://developer.apple.com/tools/ ...? and if so my problem remains - i don't have panther only jaguar 10.2, and the xcode link on the developer page requires 10.3 panther. I can find no link to any kind of developer tools for 10.2

Obviously i will eventually upgrade to panther but i only just paid for my ibook and some related software and i'm not yet ready to spend more cash on upgrading the OS from 10.2 to 10.3

any advice? is codewarrior the tool i should be looking at? what about gcc can i just get a ppc binary version of gcc as i like to code with vim where possible anyway?

Cheers, you highly technical 1337 bunch of osx hackers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't going to give you the link from your 2nd post, but your 3rd and 4rth are much more to my liking :) so here is your link :D

Go to here then set up an account, login, click on Download software click on Developer Tools, you will see xcode, august and december. Now I believe august dev tools work free standing.. though I would recommend the december first, they are large files but I believe worth it if you have bandwidth to spare. But august if not. Now they only allow one connection per tool so anything like speed download will lock your account after a certain amount of time.. but I had two or three locked before I figured that out.

CodeWarrior would do the trick but I personally have never used it and I don't believe that it is a good way to create the perfect app for OSX

OP
M

m4cw4re_syst3m

awww thanks a lot for the link and the explaination, got the 300+ MB dev tools download from december comnig down now, thanks again :)

...and btw the more i learn about this osx the more i like it, just learnt about 'uninstalling' - no dll-**** for mac users

:) its all good

cheers for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I strongly recommend checking out the terminal :) lota powerfull stuff there.

OP
G

grazie

Had exactly the same problem. So pleased :p I found the answer here I thought I'd register and post a ta very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
welcome to the forum!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.