desktop picture

Reaction score
laptop: 2008 Macbook Pro with Yosemite
problem: desktop picture is always the Yosemite rock formation instead of the picture I selected.
I've run Onyx and that doesn't solve the problem.
any ideas on how to fix this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've run Onyx and that doesn't solve the problem.

Running Onyx has nothing to do with this issue. It's kind of like trying to comb your hair with a doughnut…not going to work!;)

To change the desktop picture:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Desktop & Screen Saver
- click on "Desktop" tab
- choose the desired desktop photo

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
but I didn't ask how to change the picture. I know how to do that. I did it, every time I turn on the computer because it doesn't remember my choice.
I didn't have this problem on my 2010 Macbook Pro with Yosemite.
Is anyone familiar with this problem and how to fix it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...every time I turn on the computer because it doesn't remember my choice.

This isn't what the first post says. The first post says…"desktop picture is always the Yosemite rock formation instead of the picture I selected." The first post does not mention the part about the computer "not remembering".

Folks with issues can do many things in many different ways. And sometimes in ways that are not expected. It wasn't explained specifically how the picture was selected. So it was hard to know. If you are selecting the photo/picture via the steps as mentioned in my first post. Then you are certainly doing that part correctly.:)

Does this computer have multiple accounts on it? If so…the account which the desktop picture was changed must be the account that is signed into.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
that's the whole point. I am doing the normal steps of desktop picture selection and yet every time I turn on the computer it only wants to show me that giant rock.
Any one have anything constructive to contribute towards a solution?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any one have anything constructive to contribute towards a solution?

I'm trying to help you…but I see it's not appreciated.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for trying to help. I'm sorry you didn't fully understand my first post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? I'd dare say, even as odd as the expression "…trying to comb your hair with a doughnut" is, that running Onyx could have something to do with this issue, especially if it was a permission issue it could resolve. ;)

Next step may be to try Trashing the appropriate .plist temporarily in case it's corrupt maybe. I'm still on Mavericks and don't know what might have changed in their Yosemite.

EDIT:
Or maybe this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6602845?start=15&tstart=0
or this
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=fTAoVreWFIqQ-QPPtJTAAg

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Next step may be to try Trashing the appropriate .plist temporarily in case it's corrupt maybe. I'm still on Mavericks and don't know what might have changed in their Yosemite.

I remember having the same thing happen with the desktop wallpaper picture a while back in an earlier version of OS X, and I believe you're correct about the plist file.

OP
J
Reaction score
the plist trick didn't work for me.
I realized the photo I wanted on the desktop was on my flash drive so I used Photos to import it.
Then I selected it from Pictures and restarted the computer. This time the photo I wanted was there on the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm glad to read you got your problem fixed, and silly me assuming the photo you wanted to use wasn't in a normal place for the OS to use it. :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realized the photo I wanted on the desktop was on my flash drive so I used Photos to import it.
Then I selected it from Pictures and restarted the computer. This time the photo I wanted was there on the screen.

Good deal.:) Yes…photos to be used for the desktop definitely need to reside on the computers storage device (versus an external device that may or may not always be present). That way it's always there for the computer to access when it is restarted.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.