Desktop Folder disappeared after power outage

Reaction score
Have lost complete file from desktop. Have tried FIND but not anywhere. HELP please. Mac 10.6.8 Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Have lost complete file from desktop. Have tried FIND but not anywhere. HELP please. Mac 10.6.8 Safari

Hello - not much provided to help - :Smirk: Give us some more information on your computer - Mac OS X is above.

Just a few questions for starters: 1) Were you working on the file when the power outage occurred; 2) What kind of file are you missing; 3) Have you searched your computer for the file name (just wondering if there may be other versions); and 4) Do you have a backup of your computer where the file may also be stored? Dave :)

OP
Reaction score
Lost Folder

Dave,
The computer was in sleep mode when power went out, it came back on for a few minutes then went out again for an hour. The Folder was on the desktop and included Geneology files in Microsoft Word, an extended geneology files in Adobe InDesign. Many files saved from the internet.

I have tried FIND with no success, have tried with name of files that were within this folder. There are other files with similar names and I have searched those as well. There is a back-up thumb drive but unfortunately I have not added to it lately.

Do appreciate your interest and any help.
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
A real longshot:
Go into System Preferences > Displays
Make note of the resolutions currently set
Change to higher resolutions (so things on the monitor look smaller)
See if your folder is hiding on the edge
If it is, drag it to the center
Reset the resolutions as they were

OP
Reaction score
Lost Desktop Folder

Thanks for the suggestion, I made the resolution change but the folder was not hiding so on to the next idea. Appreciate the suggestion. Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the suggestion, I made the resolution change but the folder was not hiding so on to the next idea. Appreciate the suggestion. Bill

Hi again Bill - so, no cloud and/or backup, like Time Machine?

If not already done, you might want to log out and log back into your account and/or try to reboot the computer - probably will not help but no harm done. Is the computer working otherwise? About all that I can offer - sorry. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.