Desktop app to create offline volume catalogs?

Reaction score
I'm doing a major backup of my personal media RAIDset...about 8 TB of home videos, movies, and stuff I want to keep forever.

Ultimately, the backup drives will be taken over to a video house and dumped to LTO tape. Each tape comfortably holds about 1.75 TB, so I'm splitting the 8TB from the RAID across 5 2TB drives.

Here's the problem...I can't mount all 5 backup drives at once, and so I'd like to find some sort of app which can take a snapshot of the volume catalog..basically, I'd like to have the finder window for each volume available, even when the drive isn't mounted. This way, I could see what files I've copied to what drive, without having to mount and unmount drives constantly, just to check what's on each.

Any chance there's something that does this? Anything like this around? The closest I can get currently is a utility called WhatSize, which creates a column view of a volume, which I can then screen grab. However, I'd like something that behaves like a folder window, with the files and folders available interactively (eg, I can click on a disclosure triangle and see the files/folders within).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be one, but am not aware of a file manager that will take snapshots and save them for interactive offline viewing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That looks pretty slick - wasn't too sure based on the videos whether it would maintain the catalog for off line items until he mentioned you could use 'Quick Look' to preview a file "if it is currently online".

Reaction score
I used to use it when it was CD-Finder and I had an extensive collection of burned cd's.
If I needed something I would just search the database on my drive and it would tell me which cd it was on.
If I couldn't remember the filename I could browse the database just like it was the Finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.