Deleting users when minus sign is greyed out

Reaction score
Hi,

Please could I ask for a few minutes of sometime time for help?

I have 2 accounts set up on my MacBook Pro - User1 (Admin) and User2 (Standard). When I'm logged into the User1 account and go to System Preferences > Accounts and try to delete the User2 account, having unlocked the accounts, I can't click on User2 in the Other Accounts section and the minus or '-' sign is greyed out too. There are no programs running in User2 at this stage other than Finder. Can anyone offer advice on how I can delete the User2 account?

Any help would be amazing!

Thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You'll need to unlock the Accounts System Preferences pane by clicking on the padlock button:

accounts.png

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've already tried that (and am sure that the unlocking worked as the locked padlock changes to an unlocked one) and the minus button is still greyed out and I can't click on the User2 account. Do you have any other ideas, please?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've already tried that (and am sure that the unlocking worked as the locked padlock changes to an unlocked one) and the minus button is still greyed out and I can't click on the User2 account. Do you have any other ideas, please?

Is it possible that you are logged in currently with a non-admin account?

OP
P
Reaction score
When I'm trying to delete the User2 (Standard) account, I'm logged into the User1 (Admin) account. The 'Paul Backman' account is the User2 account that I'm trying to delete...

Picture 1.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I'm trying to delete the User2 (Standard) account, I'm logged into the User1 (Admin) account. The 'Paul Backman' account is the User2 account that I'm trying to delete...

Can you click on "Login Options"? If so, a screen shot would be helpful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uncheck 'enable fast user switching' and see if you can delete it now.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help and time. I logged out of the account I was trying to delete, went back into the one I was keeping, unlocked it and then the account to delete was selectable and the minus sign was no longer greyed out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.