Deleting Searches from Go To Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 8GB
Curious about the "Go To Folder". When I navigate to Go on the top menu bar and than drop down to my Go To Folder and open it, there are several recent searches showing in the dropdown. How do you delete recent searches from the Go To Folder. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Curious about the "Go To Folder". When I navigate to Go on the top menu bar and than drop down to my Go To Folder and open it

What Mac OS version are you using...???

If you are using a fairly recent version, you may be able to change things according to where they say the list of optional folders is available:
Recent Folders: Choose a folder from the submenu. To change the number of recently opened folders listed, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Desktop & Dock in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down). Go to Menu Bar on the right, click the “Recent documents, applications, and servers” pop-up menu, then choose a number.

- Patrick
=======

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ventura 13.0.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I don't think there is an easy way to delete that history without deleting pretty much all of the things stored in the various history locations. May I ask why you want to delete the history? Maybe there is another way to accomplish what you really want to do.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake, curiosity always seem to get the better of me. I just went to my Go to Folder and typed in "Documents". Several options popped up to choose from which is okay. Finished with Go to Folder and closed it. Went and checked email for a minute or so. Went I go back to Go To Folder I see under recents are all of the searches I had previously inquired about. Why do they keep showing? Can/don't they get deleted when you close the Go To Folder. I would like to see the recents empty every time I navigate back to the Go To Folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake, curiosity always seem to get the better of me. I just went to my Go to Folder and typed in "Documents". Several options popped up to choose from which is okay. Finished with Go to Folder and closed it. Went and checked email for a minute or so. Went I go back to Go To Folder I see under recents are all of the searches I had previously inquired about. Why do they keep showing? Can/don't they get deleted when you close the Go To Folder. I would like to see the recents empty every time I navigate back to the Go To Folder.
I don't think that is a settable option. It's how Finder works, and I don't see any Settings to change it. Maybe someone else will have something, but I'd be surprised. I like the history, as the places I use the Go To to get to are typically the same location, or close, and it's nice (to me) to have that history to avoid all the typing. Anyway, we'll see if anybody has a setting tweak.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply...will see if anyone has some input. Sitting here after having a total hip replacement a week ago and just going around and looking at things in the MBP. Like I said, curiosity got the better of me....would prefer to see it cleared when closed, but definitely not a big deal. Also, why is my post not showing in the new posts. Can only find it in my threads in the Find threads drop down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, why is my post not showing in the new posts. Can only find it in my threads in the Find threads drop down
It's not new to you. Shows up in New for me, because I had not seen it. You had--you wrote it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I would like to see the recents empty every time I navigate back to the Go To Folder.

Good luck with your hip replacement, and I hope everything turns out well, but while you are exploring things on your Mac, maybe there's something here that you could use to do what you want or at least give you an idea of possibly where the list possibly resides.

Even if the article is prior to the Mac OS version you are using.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I don't now if this will help, but have you disabled "recent items"? In Settings > Desktop & Dock, for Menu Bar there is an option Recent documents, applications, and servers, set that to "none".

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yes, I saw that but not really what I was looking to accomplish.

Deleting finder 'Go to folder' history.. wondering how you delete the history of the 'go to folder' drop down box when in finder. Found these commands for terminal.

In Terminal, run these two commands:
defaults delete com.apple.finder GoToField
defaults delete com.apple.finder GoToFieldHistory
just curious if there was a default setting where recent searches would not be saved!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
At the bottom of the Go To menu is a Recent Folders menu, at the bottom of that is Clear Menu. Or is that not what you mean?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.