deleting leftover apps

Reaction score
Hey guys, usually keep my my mac very clean knowing every app i own but recently i found apps i downloaded when i was new to apple and also uninstalled these apps.

Is there an app that can delete all leftover files?

C

chas_m

I disagree with the advice given above.

Clean My Mac 2 -- not recommended, known to cause problems.

We recommend App Cleaner (free) if you feel the need (not usually necessary) to delete all associated files with an uninstalled app.

In MOST cases (ie any app that doesn't alter the system in any way), you can simply drag the app to the trash and that's it. The 4K preference file that might be left behind isn't worth the bother. But in some cases, or for different reasons, people like to have the app be completely uninstalled (this is, I think, a leftover issue from Windows users but whatever). That's when apps like App Cleaner and App Zapper also delete the associated files, but the trick to using them is NOT to trash/delete the original app first. Drag the no-longer-desired app to App Cleaner or App Zapper instead of the trash, and it will find the associated files.

Reaction score
^^^ Huh?
Also note AppCleaner has a background process that will do that whenever you drag an app to the trash.
A little window pops up with a list of files to delete, you can uncheck ones you want to keep.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also note AppCleaner has a background process that will do that whenever you drag an app to the trash.
This is a fantastic feature that really ought to be on by default. shany, if you decide to use it, go to App Cleaner > Preferences > SmartDelete and turn it on.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys but i bought an app called APPDELETE and it was brilliant.
The maker Reggie Ashworth gives excellent support.
I managed to delete files known as orphans that i totally forgotten i had downloaded.
best app i have bought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Not wishing to high jack this topic but I have downloaded AppCleaner. It does not appear to have to be installed and sits on the desktop. Is that correct? Can I put it in the dock rather than have it ion the desktop?

Edit OK now I fixed it:)

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.