Deleting files & manage storage

Reaction score
Hi there,
I need to make space and properly delete lots of data from my iMac. Problem is, that I seem to have 1,1 TB of files hiding somewhere in "Other Volumes in Container"... what exactly are these files, how do I identify them? Thanks so much, hope you can help me here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 18.02.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 18.02.18.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 18.02.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 18.02.29.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 18.02.50.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 18.02.50.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just a thought - do you have Time Machine enabled? If so it can be a temp file waiting to backup. Also any trash files fall into the other category so emptying the trash will lower that.

When you look at the storage screen click on manage and that will give you more information.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Hi there,
I need to make space and properly delete lots of data from my iMac. Problem is, that I seem to have 1,1 TB of files hiding somewhere in "Other Volumes in Container"... what exactly are these files, how do I identify them? Thanks so much, hope you can help me here.
Welcome to the forum. The display you have shown is notoriously inaccurate at storage use and availability. To get a better view of how much is available, right click on the drive icon on the desktop and then Get Info to see how much is really taken and available. To see what volumes may be on the drive, you can open Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities), then click on the "View" on the top bar of the resulting window and then "Show All Devices." Now your internal drive will show at the hardware level, with the Container(s) showing and the Volumes inside the container. What should be there are Volumes something like this image:
Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 1.40.53 PM.png

That is my internal drive, but I'm using Big Sur, so the "Macintosh HD" is greyed out due to the enhanced security of Big Sur. I don't remember how Mojave works, exactly, but you should have the HD and HD - Data Volumes. The other Volume you see, "com.apple.os.update...." is a volume that the system created on the system drive and which is, for me, not erasable nor deletable. And the "Data" drive is where my data is stored, my home directory, documents, etc. The OS merges HD and HD - Data into one "drive" in Finder and on the Desktop, but it is actually those two volumes. This is Apple's new file structure for drives, APFS, and is optimized for SSD drives. However, the OS applies the same change to rotating drives when the upgrade is installed. I think APFS started in High Sierra.

So, take a look at what Volumes are in the Container and let us know. Don't delete any of them until we see what's there because what YOU think is not important may be VERY important to the OS.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Lisa,
yes, I do have Time Machine enabled but backup was finished. The trash was empty of course. Here is a shot of "Manage", the numbers simply don't add up... I can't see where the 1,1 TB belong to?!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 20.28.55.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 20.28.55.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a different Volume, so it may well not be mounted at the moment, so you cannot see into it. Did you try what I suggested in post #3?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey Jake, thanks so much. Now it gets weird: I have two Mac Drives sitting there. This must have happened when I did a rollback from BigSur to Mojave via Time Machine (my video editing software did not get along with Mojave). So... is this really blocking 1,1 TB on my drive or not?!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 22.58.55.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 22.58.55.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aha! So, let me guess what you did to "roll back" to Mojave. You booted into TM and got the Utility installer screen. But you did NOT reformat or repartition the main drive, just pointed the installer to the Volume you named "MAC" and let it install. So then you recovered from TM to MAC, which, in fact, created a NEW "MAC" Volume because it cannot overwrite the Big Sur volume because of the increased security. And then it created or repurposed "MAC HD - Data." And the Big Sur stuff is still there. That's what is taking up all that space. A volume you now cannot mount and cannot erase normally.

How to fix? It's not easy. First, make a full, complete backup of what you have now. I'd suggest Carbon Copy Cloner, but you can use TM if that's all you have. Test the backup to make sure it actually worked because you are about to wipe out the entire internal drive back to factory state. Then book into Recovery. ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 ) and use the Disk Utility there to repartition your entire hard drive into one Container which will wipe out what is there and basically set the drive to factory with all of the data erased, then use TM to restore from the backup. It's been a while since I used Mojave, so it may take more to get your Mojave system back. You might need to build a bootable Mojave installer on a USB drive, boot from that, do the repartition work, reinstall Mojave from the USB drive, then use Migration Assistant at the first boot (before you create any accounts) and restore from the backup. In fact, that approach would probably be my preferred way as you would at least have a clean install of Mojave. Just bear in mind that in Disk Utility, you pick "View" and "See All Devices" to do the repartitioning and volume creation at the hardware level.

Is this a PITA? Yes. Is there a shorter way? Not one that is reliable. Rolling back from Big Sur is very, very hard to do because of the changes in APFS and the way Apple secured the boot Volume for Big Sur. Basically you have to take a hammer to it to get rid of the security. That is what repartitioning the hard drive does. It wipes out EVERYTHING to the point where it's a blank drive, so that you can then treat it as just that, a blank drive, and install Mojave and recover your files.

OP
G
Reaction score
bad news, but thx heaps Jake! question: I bought a new iMac with a smaller drive (1TB), this is the reason why I'm doing this. So I guess the procedure will still be the same, erasing the new Mac and do all the steps right?! or does this make it a little easier? I won't have to wipe out the old Mac for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bad news, but thx heaps Jake! question: I bought a new iMac with a smaller drive (1TB), this is the reason why I'm doing this. So I guess the procedure will still be the same, erasing the new Mac and do all the steps right?! or does this make it a little easier? I won't have to wipe out the old Mac for now.
I'm confused by that post. You bought a new iMac. Does that mean you have two? That new iMac cannot go back to any version prior to the one it came with. So the process I described cannot take that new iMac back to before the one the factory installed. Assuming that was Big Sur, you cannot go back to Mojave on that new iMac.

Maybe if you tell us what you actually are trying to achieve we can give you better advice. And give us information on all of the machines involved--model, version OS, state of the backups, etc.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok, my old iMac has a 3TB internal drive (iMac 27", late 2013, 3,5 GHz i7, 32GB, 3TB HDD). My plan was to shrink it down to under 1TB and install a 1:1 copy of that status via Time Machine on my new iMac (Apple iMac 27" Retina 5K, 10-Core i9 3,6 dt, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 5300).
But it looks like you've already given me the answer to my problem: I can't transfer a Mojave backup onto a new machine.

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm still not sure how to treat those two MAC drives on my iMac. which one is my actual drive I'm using and which one is the old backup. did those two kinda merge or are they separate?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Neither is an old backup. As I said, one is the old "MAC" drive that Big Sur created and the other is the "MAC" that Mojave built when you tried to go back. You have a few options: 1) Live with it, giving up the drive space, 2) do what I suggested to repartition and thereby erasing the entire drive back to factory.
I can't transfer a Mojave backup onto a new machine.
I didn't say that, exactly, what I said was you cannot install or run Mojave on the new iMac as it came with Big Sur installed. But you can restore your files and applications from the old backup of the Mojave system. The best way to do that is with Migration Assistant, which was offered to you when you first booted the new iMac, and which, I bet, you didn't take advantage of doing. So now it's a bit harder. One way is to use Migration Assistant to migrate the files from the TM backup to the new system, but that action will result in the old files being put into a new account and having the permissions set for that new account, not the one you created. If you go that route, you will have to then find the account MA creates, copy those files from there to your account and then change the permissions on all of them to add your new account. NOTE: Even if the "name" of the account is the same as it was before, macOS knows that that new account is NOT the account that created the backup, so as a security measure it won't put them into your new account, which is why the whole rigmarole of having to copy/change permissions.

The other, and I think better, way to do it is to reinstall Big Sur on the new iMac as a new system, in effect going back to how it was when you originally got it. When you first boot it up, it will do the "welcome" stuff and eventually offer to migrate data for you (that happens BEFORE it allows you to create an account). Take that offer and point to the TM backup. You can deselect anything you don't want transferred at that time. Let it do the Migration and when it is done, you will have an account created on the new system with the same login/password as it was on the Mojave system and all of your files should be there, just as they were when the TM backup was made. Any applications that don't run on BS won't be moved. Or they may be moved but won't run. I don't remember, it's been a while since I did that. But all of your documents, the Desktop, Mail, etc, should be there.

OK, that takes care of the new iMac. What do you want to do with the old one? Do you want to keep it and use it for some reason, or are you planning to sell/give away to someone? What you want to do with the old one may determine what you need to do with it now.

OP
G
Reaction score
wow, thanks again for your detailed answers. very very helpful! good thing is, that the new iMac is still sitting in it's box, haven't touched it yet. So the MA way should work. the old Mac will be sold, so back to factory settings.
But just to be sure: the last TM backup will just be the MAC drive I'm currently working on, not the old one from before the rollback?! I just don't wanna end up with a mess on the new comp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should be the drive you are booted from. That's how TM works. You can enter TM after the backup is done to see what is there, and everything in your User account should match what you see when you are in your account. That's what is going to be migrated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.