Deleted photos still taking up space

Reaction score
I have a 16gb iPhone 5s with iOS 8.1.2. I've been having problems with storage so I took the step of importing all my photos into iPhoto and deleted them off my phone. However, they still show up as taking up storage - I repeated this multiple times out of frustration, and as of now, although there are zero photos on my phone, iTunes tells me there are a 1080 photos taking up 2.27gb worth of space. How do I get rid of this?

M

MacInWin

There may be a "Recently Deleted" Album on your iPhone. Apple added that for folks who accidentally delete photos. I don't know how long they stay in that folder before they are finally erased, but you can try to delete them from there to see if they free up the space.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, Jake, you're right. With the latest iOS 8, you go into photos as if to view them and under "Albums" there should be a folder called "Recently Deleted". It was introduced to cover the inadvertent deletion of a photo. It stores it for 28 or 30 days, forget which.

What Harry needs to do is open this folder. Unfortunately, he will have to choose "Select" and then touch each photo to select it and will be given the option of "Delete" or "Recover". He should choose "Delete". There is no "select all" function, so it's a bind.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yes, Jake, you're right. With the latest iOS 8, you go into photos as if to view them and under "Albums" there should be a folder called "Recently Deleted". It was introduced to cover the inadvertent deletion of a photo. It stores it for 28 or 30 days, forget which.

What Harry needs to do is open this folder. Unfortunately, he will have to choose "Select" and then touch each photo to select it and will be given the option of "Delete" or "Recover". He should choose "Delete". There is no "select all" function, so it's a bind.

Hi Guys - I've been using the 'Recently Deleted' folder in the Photo App for several months and there is a 'delete all' option and the images do not even have to be selected - see the attachment - I put 4 Van Gogh paintings in the folder, then tap 'Delete All' and said yes to the confirmation window; and 30 days is the countdown. Dave :)

IMG_1188.PNG

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi RadDave

I think we are saying the same thing. There is a "delete all" for deleting photos into the "Recently Deleted" folder; but I don't have that function for deleting the photos which are in the "Recently Deleted" folder. I think you and Jake are saying the same when you state "and 30 days is the countdown".

The OP has over a thousand photos which he has deleted using the "Delete All" function which has put them, I assume, in the "Recently Deleted" folder. His point was that they are still taking up space. As Jake and, I believe, you are saying, wait 30 days and they're history. True.

I was simply adding that if the OP wanted the space sooner, he'd have to go into the "Recently Deleted" folder and select all 1080 photos individually to delete them permanently. At least that is how things are on my iPhone 6. (iOS 8.1.2).

Ian

M

MacInWin

IWT, I just tried it on my iPhone 5s and you are correct, there was not a Delete All or Select All option in the Recently Deleted Album.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
None of my deleted photos ever go into the "Recently Deleted" album.

Whether using Windows or OS X, there is an option in Picasa to "Delete only copied photos" which can be set after import. They are immediately deleted, are not put into that "Recently Deleted" album and your space is restored for use.

I use that feature even when I have a bunch of pics that I just want to disappear. It's easy enough to delete them from your computer and no need to wait 30 days to get the drive space back on your iDevice. I often have 100-300 pics at a time I need to dump that way. Much easier than a two step deleting one at a time - afer you already deleted them. Cruel and unusual punishment for all iOS users because some complained they wanted pics back after they deleted them. Apple wants to do that, then give the rest of us an "Empty the trash" option.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.