Deleted Items in iPhoto

Reaction score
In iPhoto, when photos are in the trash bin, I can right click on an image and see different options. One of the options is "file path". When I click on that, a new window comes up and I am able to view the photo in the trash can, as well as other photos in that file. My question is: am I being shown the "file path" where the photo is saved on the computer (outside of iPhoto), or am I being shown the place where the photo was deleted from? Put differently, if I "empty" the iPhoto trash, will that picture be deleted or is the "file path" telling me that while the photo is deleted from iPhoto, it has been saved somewhere else on the computer?

Thank you!

Reaction score
In iPhoto, when photos are in the trash bin, I can right click on an image and see different options. One of the options is "file path". When I click on that, a new window comes up and I am able to view the photo in the trash can, as well as other photos in that file. My question is: am I being shown the "file path" where the photo is saved on the computer (outside of iPhoto), or am I being shown the place where the photo was deleted from? Put differently, if I "empty" the iPhoto trash, will that picture be deleted or is the "file path" telling me that while the photo is deleted from iPhoto, it has been saved somewhere else on the computer?

Thank you!

I stopped using iPhoto but it has always been my impression that when you delete a photo from iPhoto you still have the original picture in your Picture folder. There is a quick way to find out. Duplicate a picture (in your basic folder) and then delete that one picture in iPhoto. Then delete it from the Trash and see if it is still in the Picture folder.

OP
C
Reaction score
it has always been my impression that when you delete a photo from iPhoto you still have the original picture in your Picture folder. There is a quick way to find out. Duplicate a picture (in your basic folder) and then delete that one picture in iPhoto. Then delete it from the Trash and see if it is still in the Picture folder.

I'm very new to iPhoto (and to the Mac for that matter). What is the difference between the "Picture folder", the "Basic folder" and the iPhoto library? Also, how do I duplicate a photo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Hi Claudette and welcome to Mac-Forums.
iPhoto has it's own trash which you'll find at the bottom of the drop down source list.

To completely delete a photo from your computer select the images from your iPhoto library and press the delete key. This will transfer the pic to iPhoto's Trash.

Then to really get rid of the photo, control-click on iPhoto's Trash icon and choose Empty Trash. This will get rid of the images for good.

Hope this helps, if not ask away! :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.