deleted files

Reaction score
I copied some files and did something wrong, now the copies have a little arrow to the bottom left and won't open. messages keeps saying alias can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found. What do I do now. I empted my trash and can't find them anywhere. I'm not that savvy with this sort of thing so I need simple answers instructions. Many thanks for any help

Last edited:
C

chas_m

The little arrow indicates that what you did was to make ALIASES (or Windows-speak, shortcuts) of the files, and then apparently trashed the originals. If that's what happened, not much you can do about it without backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There is data recovery software, but it will cost you to actually restore deleted files. You can use a demo to see if it will find anything, but to get it back, you pay first. It's not cheap. Can't think of the software title at the moment, ...

In the meantime, to keep those deleted files from being overwritten on the disc, you should not be saving files, or even using the computer that much before attempting to find the files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.