Delete all Time Machine backups from external HDD.

Reaction score
Hello,
I looked through the forum and did not find a link to a previous post. Please forgive me if this has been posted. Please point me to the article, link of KB.
I recently purchased a larger external and I configure Time Machine to save my backups to the new external HDD.
I want to recover the space I have on an external that I previously used for my Time machine backs. Is there a way to delete all Time Machine Backups from an external that is no longer the device that collects the Time Machine Backups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Once it has been disassociated from TM, erase/format the drive as with any other hard drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Nellynel74

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for posting.

Jim B has given you the answer. Any external drive with anything on it can be erased and formatted using Disk Utility (DU) and this includes Time Machine backups.

If you have any doubts about how to erase and format an External Hard Drive (EHD), please let us know.:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.