Default output resets to internal speakers on restart

Reaction score
I am currently on OS 10.6.2.

Every time that I restart my computer, the Sound Output resets to Internal Speakers. I change it back to Line Out from System Preferences and everything is great until the next restart. It is getting really annoying. Anybody struggling with this or know how to avoid this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Sound keeps defaulting to "Internal Speakers" on reboot

Dizz, have you ever solved this? I'm having the same problem and I'm on Version 10.6.3 on my MacPro 4,1 .. I can't imagine we're the only 2 out there dealing with this problem?

Nobody is seeing this?

OP
D
Reaction score
Dizz, have you ever solved this? I'm having the same problem and I'm on Version 10.6.3 on my MacPro 4,1 .. I can't imagine we're the only 2 out there dealing with this problem?

I did get this resolved. It was a couple months ago, so I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I believe I deleted an old preference file somewhere and then I had no problems after that.

I believe the file was located in:

Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/Audio/

In that folder, I currently have two flies.
com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist
com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

You may want to try temporarily deleting them (back them up of course before doing this) and then restart the computer, select your devices and then restart again and see if the new settings hold.

I believe that is what worked for me. I may have deleted an extra file that was in this folder too.

Sorry, this is so vague and not as clear, but hopefully this will head you in the right direction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.