Decisions... Decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

cory

ahh i dont know what to do... either spend 2 grand on a 23 inch monitor that looks great because i have a G4 powerbook and hook it up to the monitor would be fantastic...or for the same price or a little cheaper get a 20inch Imac G5. The thing is i already have a powerbook..hmm would you guys rather get the larger nice monitor and use the powerbook with it.. then later possibly save to get a like dual 2.5 G5 or something.. or would you bust the new IMAC. i dont know about the design. Its not that bad i just dont like all that space on the bottom.. Let me know what you guys think on this! Need your help! thank you<3

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is how I see it. If you planning on buying a powermac G5, then you will need a monitor. If you can do what you need to do with the 1.8 G5, then look at the iMac.

In order to make a good suggestion, we need to know what you plan to do with your system.

OP
C

cory

true well i dont know because like is aid i have the powerbok G4 and i wont have the money for awhile to get a G5. i think im just gonna go with the 23inch monitor and then maybe upgrade my powerbook when the G5powerboook comes out... I didnt catch much coverage of the Expo. did they mention anything about the G5 powerbook?

OP
O

octohunter

If you're going to eventually upgrade your machine why not just buy a VGA and save a bundle. My 12" powerbook is my primary machine and I use it without an additional display 95% of the time. When I use my mapping and GPS software I attach it to my 17" VGA and the quality is outstanding. When I bought the VGA I thought I'd use it quiet a bit but I was wrong. It just made me appreciate the portability of the powerbook.

Hold on to your cash and wait and see what arrives just before the holidays. Just a suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I'd say put it in a high interest account and wait for a more powerful PowerMac or PowerBook G5.

OP
M

Matt

When I use my iMac, I really miss the quality LCD of my Sony Vaio, I would rather use the 12" screen than the 17" for that reason (Except for movies and editing).

OP
C

cory

Well see the thing is this.. my powerbook is off to one side of my desk and my 17 inch is in the center... seriously like for flash and photoshop and pro tools i need more monitor space.. like even in photoshop when i zoom in i get the pallets blocking things and such...so i dont know that 23 is just soo gorgious.. and that way i would take great care of it and have a super nice monitor for sooo long...cuase apple wont be coming out with new displays for a long while. And knowing that the G5 powerbook wont be coming out till next year ill have some time to save some extra cash..then once it does come out ill just sell my powerbook and be able to get some good money for it and buy the G5 powerbook.. hmmm thats just my thinking. Any thoughts?

OP
C

cory

Well I dont think the IMac G5 is for me.. and the powerbook G5 is quite aways away.. so i think im going to go get that monitor..its soo pretty and will help me out a lot with room for these applications. And then ill just save money for a while and possibly early next year get like a smokin new updated Powermac G5 like a Dual 3.0 hah yea! What do you guys think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
hey cory obviously ur mind is absolutely set on getting that monitor so go ahead and get it. if u want it, get it.

OP
T

TylerMoney

but look how sweet the new iMacs are...rock on with the iMac man..that's what I'd do....though...an apple cinema display would rock my world too.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

I say that you should get a cheap CRT and a docking station for your iBook, you will save tons of money, and then you will have an extra 1000$ for when the powerbook G5s DO come out.

OP
C

cory

yea totally.. well thanks for your guys opinions! I think im going to go with the monitor. I mean i know its alot but its just a piece to the puzzle. I need a good big desktop monitor for all my apps. Next ill save and by christmas or Januart ill have enough to get a New Version of the Powermac. Then when the G5 powerbooks come out ill have the money to sell my G4 and get one of those. so i think thats what im going to do. I gotta get each part slowly and each and a separate time.. cuase yea pretty dang expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or just give me the $$$'s ?

OP
C

cory

PinkPhishDoors said:
Your G4 won't be worth much by the time the G5s come out.

I think they will be... Ill just stay up on any rumors and ill know if its getting close for the G5s to come out.... (for instance the situation with the IMac not everyone knew a new Imac was going to be presented last week)... And ill sell it before the G5s come out. It will be in perfect condition with the box and everything so i should be able to get some pretty good cash for it..

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

Get a smaller additional screen, and use "screen spanning" to get that extra room.

OP
C

cory

indeed i could do...but my desk can not fit two separate monitors is one thing i thought about.. and can you hook two external monitors up to a powerbook anyway?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.