Deciding to Switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
I am a long time PC user (although I did briefly use a MAC back in 1986).

I've made the decision to buy a Mac but I'm torn as to which machine to buy.

I love the simplicity and look of the iMac 17" but, as a PC user, I like the greater expandability and power of the G5.

This machine will be for home use and I plan on using it along with my PC. I will probably, initially, want to do some music and dvd burning and editing along with email and web. I will probably eventually move completely over to the Mac.

I also love the big Cinema display but would probably (for the sake of economy) use my current 19" CRT for the G5. Can I connect this to the G5 and the PC through a KVM switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Even the slowest G5 is notably faster than the fastest iMac. If you plan to do a lot of video, GarageBand, or DVD work. you'll probably notice the difference.

As a Mac user :) I would say that internal expansion is mostly overrated. USB and FireWire take care of most needs these days. (That's not to say there aren't some legitimate needs, but those are rare.)

G5's include an DVI-to-VGA adaptor, which will let you use a standard VGA KVM switch with your monitor. (If you have a USB keyboard and mouse, and the KVM supports USB, then you can share those, too, if you want.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
Thanks!

technologist said:
Even the slowest G5 is notably faster than the fastest iMac. If you plan to do a lot of video, GarageBand, or DVD work. you'll probably notice the difference.

As a Mac user :) I would say that internal expansion is mostly overrated. USB and FireWire take care of most needs these days. (That's not to say there aren't some legitimate needs, but those are rare.)

G5's include an DVI-to-VGA adaptor, which will let you use a standard VGA KVM switch with your monitor. (If you have a USB keyboard and mouse, and the KVM supports USB, then you can share those, too, if you want.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.