Dead superdrive

Reaction score
Ok My superdrive on my 13 in 2008 macbook doesn't work. It just makes grinding noises and spits disks back out.
I know that it'll be cheaper and less of a hassle if I just buy an external dvd drive. Now my question is would I be able to boot from an external dvd drive? I'm looking to install windows via bootcamp AND just in case I have to do a system recovery I would like to be able to boot from the Leopard install disk.
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I take it your MacBook is no longer under warranty? Have you tried to clean the drive with a cleaning kit? They're available from Best Buy, Radio Shack, Office Depot, and many other stores.

Yes, you can boot OS X from an external DVD drive. However, installing Windows from an external DVD drive is another matter. The problem you will run into trying to install Windows from an external drive is that the drive will not be recognized during the install process.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, my macbook is not under warranty anymore. Also, I did try the disk cleaner and it didn't work at all. especially for Data disks all it does is makes a grinding sounds and immediately spit it back out. I know the apple store will charge ridiculous amounts of money to repair so I'll just install it myself because my main goal is to install windows seven via bootcamp (I hope macs implement bootable windows usb in the future), don't worry I have skills, but I know macbook superdrives are unreasonably more expensive than comparable combo-drives and I'm lazy haha.

OP
B
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS, I just learned that I may be able to use rEFit to book windows 7 from the external dvd drive. w00t. I'll update when this happens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.