dead pixels after one month?! 21.5"

Reaction score
Hey all, so I bought a 21.5 iMac off a guy today, and he explains that there's 3 dead pixels on the computer, which is ok with me. He provided the receipt that showed he bought this computer brand new on Feb. 10, but does anyone know if the standard Apple warranty will cover 3 dead pixels? I called the Apple store and they said it depends on how many pixels needed to be fixed, but they could charge me up to $500 for a new display. After ONE month?! Someone, please help make sense of this problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I IMO would ring  again, hoping for a different warranty person to talk to and ask them again, and hopefully you dont get the same answer. IF you dont look at booking it in for a fix.
If you get same answer, will be touch and go if you drop it in for them to fix. And they should ring you before going ahead if the pixels cost money ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I think I read somewhere on here that it was about the cluster number - something like 6 or 11 pixels (or some super high number IMO) and they'll replace it, otherwise it's within their reasonable tolerance of operating quality levels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
He bought it February 10th and just sold it to you? Uhm...

... I wonder what else is up with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
I am with Jamie-Jamie, it seems odd that he would sell it after less than a month for no reason. But if you trust the person I wouldn't worry just seems odd

OP
Calijoefornia
Reaction score
I am with Jamie-Jamie, it seems odd that he would sell it after less than a month for no reason. But if you trust the person I wouldn't worry just seems odd

Well, he gave me the receipt and he actually got the imac as an exchange. He had a 15" MBP but wanted something bigger, so he got this thing, and then he realized he needed something mobile. I already went through the computer and it's all in good shape, sans the dead pixel.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Carry it on in to your nearest Apple store and speak with the manager if necessary. The three dead pixels are probably not enough for an official exchange but it has been Apple's "unstated" policy to swap out a new unit that has dead pixels. Yours falls in that category. But don't call them, just take it on in.

Regards.

OP
Calijoefornia
Reaction score
Carry it on in to your nearest Apple store and speak with the manager if necessary. The three dead pixels are probably not enough for an official exchange but it has been Apple's "unstated" policy to swap out a new unit that has dead pixels. Yours falls in that category. But don't call them, just take it on in.

Regards.

Thank you for the great advice! A new machine would be SWELL! haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.