Dead macbook pro after yosemite update

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I own a late 2013 macbook pro retina. Last night, i decided to update to yosemite. The update downloaded and i started it. After a while it told me it would restart. When it did a screen came on with a bar that was filling up, from the update. When that bar filled up, the macbook pro shut off. Thinking it was part of the process, i let it sit for a while and did nothing. After a while, i tried to turn it on, but it was dead. No response at all. I plugged it in and the light was amber, but turned to green shortly after since the battery was charged. I went online and found all the troubleshooting methods like resetting the SMC but no luck. It wont even try to boot up. I have no clue on what to do now. I will add that when this macbook was new, around a month old, it died like this and apple replaced the whole logicboard, but now, im out of warranty. The macbook has been babied and was working 100% before updating. Currently living in PR, no apple service center close by since the one that was local closed shop last year. Any idea what could have happened and what I can do to try and fix it? I appreciate any help I can get.

Some info on the macbook pro
Model number: A1502
Part number: ME865LL/A
8gb RAM
Late 2013 retina macbook pro 13"
2.4ghz/ 256gb flash storage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welocme to the forums.

Poor old Yosemite gets a lot of blame.

Have you tried to access Recovery Mode to check out the state of the hard drive? If no joy take it back to the Apple Store and explain your problem and ask what thy are prepared to do for you.

OP
H
Reaction score
G'day and welocme to the forums.

Poor old Yosemite gets a lot of blame.

Have you tried to access Recovery Mode to check out the state of the hard drive? If no joy take it back to the Apple Store and explain your problem and ask what thy are prepared to do for you.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Not surewhat happened exactly but it did happen while updating to yosemite. It was perfect before :(

I cant get into recovery mode because it wont even turn on. I bought it directly from apple.com and the apple service center that was local closed shop last year.

OP
H
Reaction score
Also, forgot to add that 2 days ago i did do a check on it and got: no issues found reference code ADP000. Did it randomly since there were no issues at the moment.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well your specs are just fine and it seems as though you did everything right so I agree with harry. Take it to Apple and explain what happened. Are you sure it doesn't start up at all. That is, no startup sound, no power light on the front edge, nothing. If so it is well within below what a purchaser would expect as a reasonable life span for a top of the line product and that includes all components. But I am a little concerned about the fact that this has happened before. You might like to argue that the original problem was never fixed satisfactorily meaning that it might still be still covered. It is really hit or miss, if you get a receptive, sympathetic salesman/tech they might say you are entitled to free repair but I think I would push for replacement. It seems unlikely that two logic boards would fail in two years on the same machine unless there was an unresolved problem the first time it was repaired.
I suppose I should ask, do you have a backup? Time Machine or the like?O:)

OP
H
Reaction score
Well your specs are just fine and it seems as though you did everything right so I agree with harry. Take it to Apple and explain what happened. Are you sure it doesn't start up at all. That is, no startup sound, no power light on the front edge, nothing. If so it is well within below what a purchaser would expect as a reasonable life span for a top of the line product and that includes all components. But I am a little concerned about the fact that this has happened before. You might like to argue that the original problem was never fixed satisfactorily meaning that it might still be still covered. It is really hit or miss, if you get a receptive, sympathetic salesman/tech they might say you are entitled to free repair but I think I would push for replacement. It seems unlikely that two logic boards would fail in two years on the same machine unless there was an unresolved problem the first time it was repaired.
I suppose I should ask, do you have a backup? Time Machine or the like?O:)

Hi,

It doesnt start up at all. None of those signs of life are in my rMBP.
When it happened the first time, around a month old, I closed the screen to put it to sleep. A few hours later, I opened it up and it never worked. Since it was under warranty, they refered me to a local authorized service center. They replaced the logicboard( took over 3 weeks). This time tho, it was during the update, it just shut off. I really thought it was part of the process.
Since the service center closed last year, i dont have a local apple service center nearby, and there are no offical apple stores here in PR. The only other authorized service center is about 3 hours away, but they are not apple, they are just authorized to repair.

I dont have a time machine backup but i periodically back up everything important on my computers and last week i did do a backup of everything Important to an external hd.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the service center closed last year, i dont have a local apple service center nearby, and there are no offical apple stores here in PR. The only other authorized service center is about 3 hours away, but they are not apple, they are just authorized to repair.

I dont have a time machine backup but i periodically back up everything important on my computers and last week i did do a backup of everything Important to an external hd.

I guess in hind sight you wish you had purchased Apple Care? I would give Apple a call and arrange to have your rMBP picked up and shipped to one of their service centers for diagnosis and repair. That can be expensive and you're likely to be without your machine for weeks or maybe a month. I'm sure it will have to be shipped to the mainland for repair if there are no Apple stores in PR. I would have thought there would be one in San Juan at least. You need to decide if all that is worth it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, I wish i did, but at the same time, I feel like a machine at this price level shouldnt fail that fast twice. I talked to apple today and at the end they said they could bring it in for an out of warranty repair, for which I would have to pay. I have no clue how much this would cost. I really did expect this laptop to last me a few years more that in did. Its not like it was dropped or anything.

They said that the update must have discovered a hardware problem and that caused it to fail... I have no clue how that works, since it was working fine before the update. I have no clue what I should do... They even agreed that there might be a problem with my laptop from the beggining since it fried a logicboard within the first month, but since its out of warrranty, they cant do anything about it. Sorry if it sounds like a rant.

There are no apple stores in pr right now. Only one certified and thet want 100 just to look at it plus repairs. I bet if there was a real apple store close by, they would be more helpful in person. Back when i was stationed in ft hood, the guys at the domain apple store in austin were great.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hernan I completely sympathise with you but if they agree that there, "might be a problem with my laptop from the beggining since it fried a logicboard within the first month." Then it seems fair to me that they should repair it on the basis that it was never 'fixed' in the first place. There is such a thing as "reasonable expectations" under consumer regulations that state if a product does not meet reasonable expectations of life or performance then the seller is obliged to replace or refund the money on the item. I don't know if you have a consumer protection body there but if you do it might be worth contacting them.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hernan I completely sympathise with you but if they agree that there, "might be a problem with my laptop from the beggining since it fried a logicboard within the first month." Then it seems fair to me that they should repair it on the basis that it was never 'fixed' in the first place. There is such a thing as "reasonable expectations" under consumer regulations that state if a product does not meet reasonable expectations of life or performance then the seller is obliged to replace or refund the money on the item. I don't know if you have a consumer protection body there but if you do it might be worth contacting them.

I will look into that. Appreciate it. The apple senior advisor that talked to me gave me his extension too, ill give him a call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you speak to an Apple Service Representative or a Reseller? If it was the latter there is not a lot they can do, but Apple may and I would take that update causing it to fail witha grain of salt.

OP
H
Reaction score
Did you speak to an Apple Service Representative or a Reseller? If it was the latter there is not a lot they can do, but Apple may and I would take that update causing it to fail witha grain of salt.

I talked to an apple rep through a chat, he then had someone from customer relations call me, and that person transfered my call to an apple senior advisor. What he said was that the update may have uncovered a hardware problem and that caused it to fail. It was working fine before the update. And its not like it happened hours after the update, it happened right when the update bar filled up. It just shut off and never came on again.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, harry, I too was thinking it may have been a coincidence as far fetched as it seems.:eek:

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah, harry, I too was thinking it may have been a coincidence as far fetched as it seems.:eek:

I dont know. If it had happened during, a bit later or before i would be more convinced, but it happened just when the bar filled up and it was supposed to reboot. It turned off and never came back on. Either way, the outcome is the same I guess. :Not-Amused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.