Dead Macbook Air fan (2013, 13")

C++

Reaction score
So out of the blue last evening, I heard a constant, loud and grinding noise when I turned on my laptop, and I knew something was up with the fan.

Tried tapping above and below the fan location like many others have suggested, didn't work

I thought of two possibilities as to how this may have occurred; something foreign object got stuck in it or there was something wrong with the bearing and the fan was making contact with the housing. Since I assumed the 2nd issue would require a replacement anyway, I hoped it was the first and decided to run the fan at full speed by playing an intensive game for a minute.

I was wrong, and within 5 seconds of even louder grinding, the sound completely disappeared. The fan died. There was absolutely no sound coming from the chassis.

I installed SMC fan control to confirm, but it still shows normal fan speeds i.e. 1190 when idle/light work, 6000+ when gaming (I know it's harmful to heat stress a laptop without a fan, I only ran it for a minute tops).

Not sure how to explain that..any ideas?

Additionally, is it safe to use for light work? I've got SMC fan control running and the temp is usually 35C, never above 45C.

As for replacement...how much would it cost to get it replaced outside AppleCare?
If not, is it alright to self-replace? I've replaced parts on my old Dell before.

Lastly, I spilt tea (no milk, no sugar) into the bottom left half of my keyboard, about a week and a half ago, I let it dry off for a night and it works now, I'm guessing that might have something to do with it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As for replacement...how much would it cost to get it replaced outside AppleCare?

Probably a lot more than you want or expect!

If not, is it alright to self-replace? I've replaced parts on my old Dell before.

- Check out ifixit.com for the replacement procedure.
- Check out powerbookmedic.com for parts

Lastly, I spilt tea (no milk, no sugar) into the bottom left half of my keyboard, about a week and a half ago, I let it dry off for a night and it works now, I'm guessing that might have something to do with it?

Yes…this would be my conclusion as well (not a guess)!;)

- Nick

OP
C

C++

Reaction score
- Check out ifixit.com for the replacement procedure.
- Check out powerbookmedic.com for parts

Pshh, iFixit is my leisure reading material every time a new Apple product that comes out ;)

Powerbookmedic looks good...but really pricey! $38 for new and $19 for used fans. I've found used fans from reputable sellers on eBay from $5.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pshh, iFixit is my leisure reading material every time a new Apple product that comes out ;)

Powerbookmedic looks good...but really pricey! $38 for new and $19 for used fans. I've found used fans from reputable sellers on eBay from $5.

I'm just trying to help you. ifixit and Powerbookmedic were just suggestions! If you know of less expensive places to get what you need…then great…do it!

Is this the way you say thanks??

- Nick

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

You better keep your fingers crossed or whatever else you do for bringing luck.... that your MacBook Air does not crap out all together in the future. Never mind the noisy fan! ;D

OP
C

C++

Reaction score
I'm just trying to help you. ifixit and Powerbookmedic were just suggestions! If you know of less expensive places to get what you need…then great…do it!

Is this the way you say thanks??

- Nick

I'm sorry and thank you :)

That was phrased poorly but what I meant to ask was whether buying a used fan is worth it, given the uncertainty of how long it'd last, being a used mechanical part.

But, that doesn't matter anymore since it miraculously started working again!
I can't fathom how that happened, but whatever :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was phrased poorly but what I meant to ask was whether buying a used fan is worth it, given the uncertainty of how long it'd last, being a used mechanical part.

No problems.:)

A used or new fan will most likely be better than the one you have (making noises). Since a replacement used part shouldn't have been involved in a liquid spill.

But, that doesn't matter anymore since it miraculously started working again! I can't fathom how that happened, but whatever :D

Don't be surprised if the fan noise returns. Sometimes a mechanical part (like a spinning fan)…can cycle between "being good" and "being bad". So the fan may still need to be replaced.

But as "chscag" mentioned above. You may eventually replace the fan…which will cure the fan noise. But because liquid spills can be unpredictable…you may never know when a 2nd or 3rd issue may surface.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.