Database Tools? I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
I keep up with locates for my boss, he runs a landscaping business.

For those that do not know what locates are, they are something you call in to have a property located for all utilitie lines, they come out and mark and as long as you have the locate and hit a line, you can't be charged by the county or get a fine, you have to pay for the repair of course.

Here is my problem.

I was using neoffice's excel program to keep up with them but they are getting large and hard to find and keep up with.

So I'm looking for another solution.

Basically I have the name of the property and the description, which will always stay the same for that one job. But there will be dates; good on, good by and renew by, then there will be the locate number, if it's active or not and if it's old or new.

What would be the best way to handle something like this?

I'd like a simple app that can setup like field forms for me to fill out where I can select an exsiting job and update it, or add a new one. I also need to know when they need to be renewed, so something that could tell me when it's time to renew would be great....

Any ideas?

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
Oh I forgot to mention that I have tried filemaker and I can't seem to get the hang of it. So if you're gonna mention that, then don't. lol Unless you'd make me one for free, then that would be cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
NeoOffice has a built in Database maker I think, similar to Access from micro$oft.

May take a little work, but I'm sure it's doable. I found Access pretty easy to learn.

Also, you might post a request on www.utteraccess.com for a solution, many programmers there, and you may be able to find one willing to set it up in NeoOffice for you.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You could get an extranet for that functionality. It's a password protected website for your own records and office management. Being online, you could access it anywhere - even in the field if you're laptop can get online. Since it's a website, all work is done through drop dead simple web forms.
A bonus is you can have a public side as well, for a brochure site, etc:

http://www.MyCompany.com (public)
http://locates.MyCompany.com (your backoffice)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.