Data loss on Macbook air

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Bones

No need to apologise. You are in no way wasting anybody's time. You had a question, we tried to help. As regards the Time Machine, I did specify that you needed to buy an EHD:
The cost, very modest relative to the cost of your Mac or the cost of losing crucial stuff, is in acquiring an Ext HD. Ideally, this should be 1.5 to 2 times the storage capacity of your Int HD. I fully realise that money is often very tight. Let me just say that you can get a 3TB EHD for around $100 or less. And quite a bit less if you only require 2TB, say. Only you can make the decision.

I understood then, and still do, that money is tight which was my reason for giving you cost estimates and leaving the decision entirely to you. Sometime for the future, perhaps? And please stay around the Forums. A lot of helpful gets discussed here.

Anyway, good luck.

Ian

C

chas_m

I have, at various times in my life, been very broke indeed ... but never so broke that I thought I could risk my data to no backup ... that's just insanity. And back then, hard drives were waaaaay pricier than they are now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"13 MacBook Air 2012; OS X Sierra 10.12.4
First of all Ian, another apology I believe I'd just briefly glanced that portion of your post and therefore, may not have perceived it's full context. I've been cramming down on this fiction draft I must have ready on Monday for the Fiction Writing class I am taking. My mind has hardly strayed from it for the past several weeks.

The cash I've currently accumulated is my Christmas savings and my family has recently grown so I need all I can get, but I do happen to have a birthday coming up so I can stick an external HD on my wishlist and see what happens though I've had an external DVD drive on it for at least a year, possibly two and haven't recieved it. :p

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Bones

Well, life and work can be tough. I understand completely. Let's hope it's a Merry Christmas for you! Or Happy Birthday! Or both!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"13 MacBook Air 2012; OS X Sierra 10.12.4
Thank you Ian, both is accurate. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.