Data loss on Macbook air

Reaction score
Hello.

So yesterday I noticed that I couldn't find a folder that usually is on my desktop on my Macbook Air.
It was my school folder containing a lot of notes and assignments etc etc.

So I went through all the search method of the folder that I knew of, but it seems it has been deleted. Thrash is empty.
Is there anyway I can recover my lost school folder, with all the data intact?
I really need it.

I know that you can, on PC, set back your computer back in time, so that you can recover lost files etc. Is this possible on Mac as well?
I've tried to check the Time Machine feature, but I don't have a backup of the software system before I lost my school folder.

Any help is welcome. Im broken to pieces and really need those files!

Regards

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to the Forums. Good to have you with us. I'm really sorry about your lost material. It obviously means a lot to you.

First, can I just clarify your position as regards Time Machine (TM)? Ideally, and I hope in your case, TM should be used as a back up (BU) at least once a day after returning home and left mounted when working from home if possible. You say you have TM. If you have been backing up regularly, then, with your desktop showing on your Mac, go into TM and pick a day or time when the folder was there. Click on the folder and then restore.

What I'm trying to understand is your comment about not having a BU of the software system. If you having been using TM regularly, everything should be backed up. I'm just slightly losing you about what you mean as regards the "software system". Do you mean the OS?

Please clarify your BU strategy, especially TM. We'll do our best.

Of course, there remains how you came to delete the folder and then subsequently empty the Trash.

Once we've sorted out your problem if we can, and for the future, it's not best practice to store things on the desktop. And you must have a robust BU policy. But that's for later.

EDIT: I've had a further thought. What search methods have you used so far?

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forums. Good to have you with us. I'm really sorry about your lost material. It obviously means a lot to you.

Please clarify your BU strategy, especially TM. We'll do our best.

Of course, there remains how you came to delete the folder and then subsequently empty the Trash.

Once we've sorted out your problem if we can, and for the future, it's not best practice to store things on the desktop. And you must have a robust BU policy. But that's for later.

EDIT: I've had a further thought. What search methods have you used so far?

Ian

Sorry for the inconvience and misunderstanding.
What I meant is I have no backup for Time Machine. I've never used.
Im kinda looking for a software (program) that can restore a deleted folder, from Thrash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've used Data Recovery Free from Softtote with some success. The only problem may be that in downloading anything to your hard disk may well overwrite the files that you are trying to recover, so download to a USB stick.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sorry for the inconvience and misunderstanding.
What I meant is I have no backup for Time Machine. I've never used.
Im kinda looking for a software (program) that can restore a deleted folder, from Thrash.

I'm sorry, I didn't get that from your post. I understand everything now. It is sad news to hear you have no BU of what are, for you, such important files.

As Sawday mentioned, you are now looking at recovery software. In addition to that wise advice, you might consider Data Rescue, Disk Drill and there are others. Virtually all of them offer a trial for free to see if their product can find the data - then it's relatively big bucks; generally $100 or more to activate the product. Professional, independent, companies charge lots more, I'm sorry to say.

But, may we return to what search methods you used to try and locate the lost folder? I only ask because it could just be that the folder is there, but not being found by the method you're using. You said in your first post the folder "usually" resides on your Desktop. Implication: you may have moved it, rather than deleted it??

We'll do all we can to help.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I didn't get that from your post. I understand everything now. It is sad news to hear you have no BU of what are, for you, such important files.

As Sawday mentioned, you are now looking at recovery software. In addition to that wise advice, you might consider Data Rescue, Disk Drill and there are others. Virtually all of them offer a trial for free to see if their product can find the data - then it's relatively big bucks; generally $100 or more to activate the product. Professional, independent, companies charge lots more, I'm sorry to say.

But, may we return to what search methods you used to try and locate the lost folder? I only ask because it could just be that the folder is there, but not being found by the method you're using. You said in your first post the folder "usually" resides on your Desktop. Implication: you may have moved it, rather than deleted it??

We'll do all we can to help.

Ian

I've been searching in the Finder window, and using Spotlight.
I just assume it's been deleted since I can't find it on my desktop nor using Spotlight etc.

C

chas_m

It's spelled "trash," incidentally. Wouldn't want you to lose marks for that on a (recovered) paper!

First thing to do is kick yourself for not having a backup. Then kick yourself again for storing things on the desktop -- this is a bad idea for multiple reasons for anything other than temporary use.

Once you're done kicking, download the free Drive Genius from prosofteng.com and see if it can find your deleted folder. If it can, it will cost you $100 to get it back.

Once that's done, set up and use Time Machine or some other routine backup strategy. And put your school folder somewhere else, with a shortcut in the dock, so this never happens again.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's spelled "trash," incidentally. Wouldn't want you to lose marks for that on a (recovered) paper!

First thing to do is kick yourself for not having a backup. Then kick yourself again for storing things on the desktop -- this is a bad idea for multiple reasons for anything other than temporary use.

Once you're done kicking, download the free Drive Genius from prosofteng.com and see if it can find your deleted folder. If it can, it will cost you $100 to get it back.

Once that's done, set up and use Time Machine or some other routine backup strategy. And put your school folder somewhere else, with a shortcut in the dock, so this never happens again.

I'll try that Drive Genious.

OP
M
Reaction score

Got Drive Genius now, however when it ask me to choose a drive, theres no options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"13 MacBook Air 2012; OS X Sierra 10.12.4
Then kick yourself again for storing things on the desktop -- this is a bad idea for multiple reasons for anything other than temperary use.

Not to stray from the topic but may I ask these reasons and would it be alright to discuss what could have caused this user's folder to disappear?
I'm on a Macbook Air mysself so would like to arm myself with knowledge to prevent this from happening to me.

C

chas_m

There are several reasons why it is a bad idea to store things on the desktop, ranging from the esoteric (it blocks the view of your beautiful desktop wallpaper) to serious (the Desktop folder is the only one constantly being refreshed, and putting a lot of material there slows the Finder), to practical (it's far too easy to lasso more than you intended when you're trashing stuff off of there).

In addition to those, it also looks unprofessional, and I have found that people who put stuff on the desktop tend to put EVERYTHING on the desktop, resulting in a horrible mess where you can't find anything, and as I say you may be trying to throw one file away and accidentally grab a couple stored underneath or near it as well. Not to mention that system crashes tend to reset the user folder, including -- wait for it -- the desktop. I'll give you a few more reasons if you need them, but it's just generally asking for trouble. That said, if you really prefer a messy desktop, at least use aliases: they can be tossed safely and don't tie up system resources.

As to what could have happened, many times it is as I describe above: meant to throw away file A, threw it and files B and C away as well by accident. Sometimes its from other causes, like desktop file DB corruption. There's no definitive answer that can be given without having seen it happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Desktop clutter doesn't bother me, I am only concerned with keeping my files safe. Where is the safest place of storage? The dock?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In your Documents Folder on the Internal HD. Ideally, saved using a Folder & File structure that allows rapid access to individual files etc.

If you have a file you use daily or one that you are likely to update frequently, sure, keep that in the Dock, preferably as an alias. Sensible not to clutter the Dock just as one shouldn't clutter the Desktop. But, it's personal preference, personal risk, personal everything - how you use your Mac. Do have backups though...please!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Ian. I've moved my important file folder to Documents with an Alias in the dock (That's such a great concept).
Are there any reliable backup apps that are free? I'm literally not able to spend money.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Bones

Well, nothing is for free. The simplest and cheapest way to BU is to use Apple's own built in system/app called Time Machine. So, no cost re the app. The cost, very modest relative to the cost of your Mac or the cost of losing crucial stuff, is in acquiring an Ext HD. Ideally, this should be 1.5 to 2 times the storage capacity of your Int HD. I fully realise that money is often very tight. Let me just say that you can get a 3TB EHD for around $100 or less. And quite a bit less if you only require 2TB, say. Only you can make the decision.

Time Machine is incredibly easy to set up and, once done, runs in the background. Basically, set up and leave. If you need help setting up, just ask.

Needless to say, there are plenty of other BU options, but that's for the future.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Bones

I'm going to give you a link (below) to the Apple site explaining exactly how to set up Time Machine.

Before that, one or two points. If using an Ext HD, you will need to connect your Mac to the EHD by USB. You can't do it wirelessly as your picture suggested you are trying to do. So, a physical connection is required. Next, the EHD has to be formatted correctly. Maybe you've done all that, just saying.

As the Apple article puts it so well, why not read & follow it; then back here if you need us. Don't worry, we're not going away!:Blushing:

Link: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201250

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm afraid those instructions are unclear to me, it specifies to select a backup disc from a given list but as my screenshot should have shown I'm not given a list. Do I require an external HD? If so then there is my issue, I do not own one.

C

chas_m

Yes, there is zero point to a backup on the same hard drive as your original data.

You need an external disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, I apologize for wasting the community's time on that particular task. I'm not able to complete it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.